Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #1 
stupidshepherd

Sick betta help?

This is my betta, Flagg
I got him on friday and he seemed perfectly fine.
On Saturday I noticed he was a little less active than he had been the day before but I didn't think much of it since I've had a few somewhat lazy but otherwise healthy bettas over the years
Today he was acting extremely lethargic and just floating at the top of his tank. Upon further inspection I noticed he had some white around his mouth. I looked it up a little and it seemed like the thing that matched his condition most was mouth fungus, but I've never had this happen any of my bettas before so I'd really like a second opionon.

since I found out, I've cleaned out his tank and his tank decorations and treated the water with Melafix. In the short time he's been in there with the treated water, some of the white around his mouth has fallen off so I assume it's working but again, I'd like an outside opinion on the matter because I am very unfamiliar with whatever he has.

So to sum it all up, I'd just like to know:

1. Is it mouth fungus or something else
2. He'll occasionally sink to the bottom then swim pretty fast up to the top, sticking his mouth above the water. should I be concerned about this behavior? (http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/...=VIDEO0130.mp4 apologies in advance for the background noise)
3. How long should I treat him
4. Should I feed him while I'm treating him for this problem
5.How treatable is this issue/ does he have a decent chance of survival?

and yunno, just any other information that may be useful in the future.

thank you

Last edited by stupidshepherd; 12-30-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: additional information
stupidshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #2 
callistra

I highly suggest not using Melafix. It is mostly tea tree oil, which can coat the betta's labrynth organ and cause it to suffocate. Also it is kinda like putting neosporin on a cut.. it's not a real antifungal or antibiotic so it's not going to be nearly as effective. In most cases it will either come back once treatment has stopped or it might not work at all. That coming to the surface quickly could be him having difficulty getting air.

Yes, you can feed.

It could be a true fungus or it could be columnaris. He has a very good chance of survival with prompt and proper treatment.. see below.

I suggest looking for Kanaplex by Seachem. If this cannot be found Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II) or if you cannot find either Furan 2.

In the meantime, I would appreciate if you would fill this out to make sure we're not missing anything important: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #3 
Starfish1

Sorry about your betta not feeling well!

I wish I could be of more help but i've never had this on any of my bettas, but i do want to caution you about the melafix.. melafix can suffocate any labyrinth fish, such as a betta, it's toxic to them. They have a product called betta fix out, which is a diluted version of melafix but i dunno if if I would even try that, you can probably find some articles online if you do a search.

yes you can feed him while treating him. and I would definitely treat him asap, daily water changes, etc. I Have no idea what you would use though, maybe someone else has treated this before?
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 
stupidshepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I highly suggest not using Melafix. It is mostly tea tree oil, which can coat the betta's labrynth organ and cause it to suffocate. Also it is kinda like putting neosporin on a cut.. it's not a real antifungal or antibiotic so it's not going to be nearly as effective. In most cases it will either come back once treatment has stopped or it might not work at all. That coming to the surface quickly could be him having difficulty getting air.

Yes, you can feed.

It could be a true fungus or it could be columnaris. He has a very good chance of survival with prompt and proper treatment.. see below.

I suggest looking for Kanaplex by Seachem. If this cannot be found Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II) or if you cannot find either Furan 2.

In the meantime, I would appreciate if you would fill this out to make sure we're not missing anything important: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Oh okay, I definitely won't use that anymore then. I wasn't aware it could harm him so thank you for bringing that to my concern. I was a bit skeptical getting it in the first place, to be honest but, it was all I could find at the time considering nothing but walmart was open.
Will he be alright in that water or would you suggest I remove him?

and I'll fill that out right now.
thanks again!

additionally,
Edit:
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? unknown
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? now
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? monthly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra bettasafe

Water Parameters:
Water has not been tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white around mouth
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he has become very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? see above
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of (I've only had him for three days)
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown

Last edited by stupidshepherd; 12-31-2012 at 12:35 AM.
stupidshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #5 
callistra

It's important when you bring new bettas home, especially from places like walmart where they don't keep their bettas water very clean, that you acclimate very slowly to the new water and when you transfer him out of his old cup to the new water you not dump any of his old water along with it.. it's the only time I would use my hand or a net to scoop instead of cupping. That old nasty water can muck up your clean water in no time flat. Doing a complete water change along with your water conditioner wouldn't be a bad idea, depending on if you think any of that water got in or if you're in anything under 5 gallons... but let's see what your survey thing says.

Btw this is how you can do a water change without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote