Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 
cliffordsmom

Suggestions for a new friend?

I'm about to move my betta into a five gallon, and I'm worried it might be too roomy for him since he's always been in 1-2g spaces. I thought it might be a good idea to find a tankmate for him to keep him from getting bored in the big tank. I was thinking a snail might be a good idea, but I have no idea how to manage plants and am really afraid of getting that wrong. And I've heard that shrimp can be kind of a pain. I also thought that 5 gallons might be too small to add another actual fish- so I'm kind of stumped.

Thoughts/suggestions?
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 
cliffordsmom

I've also considered dividing the tank and putting another male in the other side; do you think 5g is too small for dividing?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #3 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Snails and shrimp are your only options for a 5 gallon.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #4 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Dividing would be fine.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #5 
carbonxxkidd

I have a divided 5g with two males and 4 ghost shrimp on one side (I would have them split between the two sides, but my one male would kill them, lol). Some people think this is overstocked, but it seems to be working out just fine for me. I do two 50% water changes a week.

I've read about some people keeping dwarf frogs in 5g with a betta, but you'd need to do more research first on that one.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #6 
fishy314

No, ADF need 3-5 gal by themselves.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Bettas are solitary fish, they don't get lonely; even the girls. 5 gallons isn't really roomy, compared to the 1000+ gallons they have in the wild.. Dividing with another male and shrimp/snails are your only option. ADFs IMO need much more room than a 5G especially with a betta. Snails don't need live plants, but in return you would have to feed algae wafers/veggies. Shrimp are quite fun to watch and are really cheap so it's a start. Just remember to start with 1 or 2 as some bettas like them as snacks.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #8 
cliffordsmom

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I've been doing some research, and I've seen that ADFs can really be hit-or-miss, and should have about 1.5-2 gallons per frog. So, I think I'll give those a try. If it doesn't work out, I'm taking them back ASAP. I don't really have the capacity to take care of anything separately. I live in a college dorm room, so space is very limited.

I like the idea of shrimp too- it's just a matter of finding them. I don't know where I could get any around where I live.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Remember to QT the frog for at least 2-3 months, most have this deadly fungus that I heard can spread to fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I doubt that fungus can pass to fish. It is mostly Amphibian. If the ADF does not work out please dont give it to the store adopt it out here.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote