Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 
Surferjo

One of my Betta's doesn't look so good this morning.

The was a baby betta rescue from Petco that I got 2-3 months ago. I took it home because it didn't look like it was going to make it another day in its plastic cup. I've had it for almost 3 months now and of my 3 fish this one is by far the most spunky and active. This morning it clearly doesn't look well.

I filled out the sick fish report. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.2 gallon tank divided into 4 partitions so each betta's tank size would be about 1.5 gallons

What temperature is your tank? 80

Does your tank have a filter? Yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes. Its on a timer and goes on about 10 mins every hour during the day only

Is your tank heated? yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? In his partition is a ghost shrimp. In the other partitions is 2 other Betta's and 2 more shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets per day. 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 times a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 33%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Betta Safe. Water sits for 24-48 hours before i add it to the tank. The containers are soaked in warm water to bring the temp up to 80 degrees matching the tank temp.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0.0 Tested it this morning.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:6.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Physical appearance seems for the most part unchanged.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? This was my most active fish now its just staying at the top not moving. I don't believe its eating either. Rapid gill movement with mouth at the surface of the water.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning. Last night it seemed fine.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, first time.

How old is your fish (approximately)? 3-5 months
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems....how are the other two Betta acting...any change with them. What section is the intake and overflow of the filter in and the airstone.

Right now-I would go ahead and get him in a QT-if you still have the small cup you bought him in-this works great for QT-usually they are small enough to float in the heated tank to maintain temp-be sure and attach it so it doesn't sink.

Right now the only symptoms are-less active and not eating...correct....No buoyancy problems, clamp fins, flashing, color changes, edema...etc....
Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 
Surferjo

The other 2 seem to be fine. Each section has its own Airstone. I made the tank myself so its a little hard to explain. Here is a pic. The filter creates very little current. The pump pulls the water to the right across all 4 partitions along the top through holes in the dividers. The return is in the left most partition. The water gets released into that tiny little box on the lower left. its got about 30 holes drilled in it so the water coming out is completely diffused and makes very little current.

I just got back home and it (i keep saying it because im not sure of the sex but i think its a female.) seems like its very bloated looking.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
Surferjo

I just googled edema and its looks like dropsy. I looked at her (i guess its safe to assume its a she now) with a flashlight and her scales are starting to pinecone around the abdomin. Whats strange is that it says the major casue is poor water quality/stressed fish. My water quality is perfect.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 
callistra

What kind of testing kit are you using to monitor ammonia in your tank? Strips are notoriously inaccurate. Whenever you want to run a filter and cycle a tank and not do 100% water changes it's important to invest in a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.. Not just ammonia. You should have been testing for ammonia and nitrite daily and doing a water change every time you saw either get to .25ppm. First you would have seen an ammonia spike. Finally ammonia would stay at zero and you would have seen a nitrite spike. Continue testing daily and finally ammonia and nitrite would have been at zero and you would start seeing nitrates. At this point weekly water changes of 20-50% would keep those under control - maybe two water changes a week at that point if your guys are particularly dirty. It doesn't look like you did this.. if you didn't, this may have caused your problem: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Even if the tank has been set up for several months now, I would definitely be testing all three levels with drops test kit just to be sure nothing has gone wonky. Also really your tank is too small to have divided it so small.. I would consider 4 bettas and shrimp in a 6 gallon a definite overstock. I wouldn't have put more than 2 or 3 bettas in that, as each fish should have at least 2 gallons.

You have a beautiful tank. However, I see your partitions are clear, and if bettas can see each other that can really stress them out. This set up may not work for your guys. You can choose to use more opaque dividers (obviously there need to be holes for the water to pass through but it doesn't need to be that clear) or put lots of plants up around them so they can't see each other. Long term stress on the adrenals can cause this as well.

At this point your girl/guy with the dropsy needs to be quarantined away from the other fish. Something around 1-2 gallons that you can keep heated would be ideal. You can even buy one of those acrylic bowls, fill it half full and float it in the tank. You need to go find some epsom salt - 100% pure magnesium sulfate according to the ingredients. You dissolve 1 tsp per gallon of water in a little cup, then slowly pour this dissolved mixture into the QT tank over an hour so. Also you need to look for a good internal antibiotic like Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II). Do 100% water changes every other day along with the redosing of meds and epsoms for 2 weeks.

Dropsy is usually fast moving, so time is important.

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 07:43 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 
Surferjo

I use drops. I do water changes so frequently nothing has even had a chance to spike. I have a large filter cavity with enough bio media for a 20 gallon tank.

I have the sick fish in a 1gal heated QT. Can i use aquariam salt or does it have to be Epsom salt?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 
callistra

Some fish are just more sensitive than others, especially the young ones.

It has to be Epsom. Aquarium salt could make it worse
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #8 
Surferjo

Thanks for all the help. Callistra you were right Dropsy is very fast moving. My rescue petco Baby Betta didnt make it. 24 hours after showing signs.

I'm going to pick up nitrite and nitrate test kits today on my way home.

Maybe ill change the dividers to opaque. Before i built that tank i asked about clear or opaque dividers on this forum and most of the answers i got said clear would be fine.

With only 2 fish now in the tank i guess this is a good time to break it down and rebuild it with new dividers.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #9 
callistra

Sorry you lost him :( Dropsy can be very difficult to treat.

I noticed most people on this forum think clear dividers are okay too.. I wonder how many of them have actual experience with it though. I find they stress fish out.. kinda like when you walk into Walmart and they're all shoved together. But it's okay this was a learning experience and some fish do eventually calm down with it. You did create a very nice home for your fish. Hopefully you will have better luck this next time around.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I will say your tank looks wonderful, and sorry you lost your betta. Try adding more plants along the dividers to avoid them seeing each other... Otherwise opaque would be recommended.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote