Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 
AK Fresh Water

Unhappy Sick Betta

My boyfriend's betta got sick very rapidly... he says that this happened overnight.
He recently added some new fish to his tank from Petsmart without quarantining them.
There is a large grey spot that looks like it is rotting/shredding/ripping.
Any idea what this is? How do you treat it?
Is it a disease or the result of fin nipping from other fish?

Ammonia/Nitrites are at 0. The tank is heavily planted.
Attached Images

Last edited by AK Fresh Water; 12-30-2012 at 07:48 PM.
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 
DragonFyre14

I'm not sure I can help too much, but maybe with more info others can help.
How big is the tank?
you said he added more fish so i'm guess this is a community tank? what fish were added? how many?
how is he acting? does it seem like the betta is having trouble swimming/breathing/eating?
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #3 
Ogre44

I'm very sorry, but your fish may be quite ill.
IMPORANT: Watch For These Disease Signs
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
AK Fresh Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre44 View Post
I'm very sorry, but your fish may be quite ill.
IMPORANT: Watch For These Disease Signs
Read through the thread. That definitely looks like it. :[

We've gone ahead and quarantined him. He's now in a heated and filtered 2.5 gal tank.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #5 
callistra

That doesn't look good.. so sorry :( How is he doing?

If you can find it, get Seachem Kanaplex.. I have recently been doing some research and have found you CAN Combine this with Furan - 2 by API. The Nitrofurazone and Kanamycin work well together and with this disease I would not hesitate to mix them.

You'll have to dilute for your size of aquarium. One level scoop of Kanaplex treats 5 gallons, so dissolve this in 5 teaspoons of water and then take 2.5 tsp back into your tank. One packet of Furan 2 treats 10 gallons, so dissolve in 10 teaspoons and take 2.5 out. I know Kanaplex dissolves well. I don't know how well Furan 2 does. If it doesn't dissolve too well you can put it in a larger unit of 10 or even in a unit of 5 and take half.. So you could dissolve in 5 cups of water and take 1.25 cups out into the tank.

If this is the disease it is extremely important to move quickly and without hesitation. Do 100% water change every other day along with the redosing of both meds. I would treat for at least 2 weeks.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

AK Fresh Water - could you post another picture, please? Regardless of his current condition, I think another picture would be helpful. It might allow people to identify if this is the 'mystery disease' (Mycobacteria sp.), based on the progression of symptoms, or something else.

(There is no way to truly identify if this is Mycobacteria without a lab analysis.... But I had a Betta die recently. I'd posted pictures as his disease progressed, and someone asked me to post a picture after he had died. On the basis of the photos, two people here felt that he'd had this 'mystery disease.'... So, if you don't mind posting pictures, they may be of aid to the knowledgeable people here. That said, it can feel kind of creepy to post photos if he's getting sicker (or has passed away), so I can definitely understand if you don't feel comfortable doing it.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #7 
AK Fresh Water

Bad news.
The Betta did not make it through the night. When I woke up this morning the grey had spread and covered half his body. Unfortunately I did not get the change to take any more pics before my boyfriend disposed of the body. This was his first fish and he couldn't stand having to look at the dead body. I saw the symptoms and pictures from other threads and I am without doubt that he was infected with Mycobacteria. This disease is vicious and terrifying... the poor guy only lasted around 24 hours after the first visible symptoms. He was in a healthy, clean, cycled tank.

Last edited by AK Fresh Water; 12-31-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #8 
AK Fresh Water

I've been concerned that the disease could spread to other fish in the community tank, so I've gone ahead and added Melafix: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11269

Hopefully this will prevent any other causalities.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #9 
DragonFyre14

If this is the mystery disease, It sounds like it doesn't usually spread to other fish. It seems to stick mostly to bettas, usually males, and most often blue ones. However I guess it can't hurt to add some Melafix to the tank just to be safe.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 
callistra

I'm sorry you lost him :(

Melafix will do absolutely nothing for this infection, I'm afraid.. like trying to throw neosporin at someone with septicemia.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote