Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 
VegasShimmer

Hello! (Introduction)

Hello! I am new to this website/forum. I am not a newbie at fish/tank care, but I am new to the Betta. A little about my background - I had successfully cared for and raised Angel Fish about 15 years ago and have always admired the Betta fish. I worked as a veterinarian technician for a few years in the early 90s. In the interval, I have tamed feral cats (my Bella and Tony), raised/released baby birds, and rescued a horse in 2006 (which I still have), so pet care and rescue is nothing new to me. As I always say, the more I know people, the more I love my animals!

I recently got my first Betta (Vegas), and he is red/blue. A day or two after, I happened upon the baby Bettas at PetCo and 'rescued' one from there also (Shimmer). I have read what a horrible practice this is, but so far, he/she seems to be thriving. He/she eats very well and seems very healthy and active. I keep Shimmer in a 1/2 gallon for now and will be moving him (hoping for male) to a 1.1 gallon soon. I keep Vegas in a 1.1 gallon and he seems to love it! I would love to have them in bigger tanks, but I have a bad lower back (from riding) and lifting the weight of a 5-10g tank filled with water to be cleaned every week would kill the limited mobility I have left. I may think about upgrading to at least a 2 - 2.5g in the future for each of them, but that would probably be the limit.

I have loved the information and reading all of the interesting forums. Here are some pics of my brood (hope they work?).
Attached Images

VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you...
We sound a lot alike too- regarding caring and tending to wild animals and feral cats (I am down to 29 cats all spayed/neutered) and have reared lots of different wild critters and released (see my album for my last critter) And, the physical limitations due to an injury from a horse....lol...

Lots of different ways to keep this species successfully and your setups sound and look great IMO/E.

Enjoy your stay....
Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventure, seeing more pics and hearing about all your other critters and experiences with them too.

Be sure and post question in the proper section for best response. Lots of great members here ready and willing to help.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 
VegasShimmer

Thanks Oldfishlady! By the way, my name is Jennifer. I think I forgot to mention that in my introduction. I will post pics from my critter rescues, and of my horse and cats (in the appropriate forum).

Yes, the ol' horse and riding obsession has taken a toll on my joints and bones. I broke my leg two years ago dismounting to fast and off balance. Rigorous trails, hills, and cantering/trotting has killed my lower back, and I am seriously thinking of buying stock in the Tylenol corporation. I am now doing only light trail rides and no trotting in order to continue riding after turning 40 this month. Oy vey, my poor body!

I've updated their tanks since those pics (perfectionism is a killer). I will post updated pictures soon!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Laffs...I hear ya...after every accident I would say "I will feel this in 20 years" and boy-O-boy was I right...lol.....That is how I broke my neck too.....horse flipped on me and a good horse would have went for help, but this stallion only pawed me and pulled my hair trying to get me up...I was luck a couple of kids happen by and called for help.

Due to my physical limitations and fine motor skills I had to find a different method to continue in the fish keeping hobby- so that I wouldn't need to make water changes like I had to using inert substrate...Thank you soil based systems...lol.....

I will watch for your new threads....
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #5 
VegasShimmer

New Betta! And new pics!

Man, I guess these Betta's are just like chips - you can't have just one! I 'rescued' another from Petco today - it is another baby white/pink Betta (though it is about double the size of Shimmer). His name is Casper and he is very skitterish, but I hope that will calm in a day or two. I moved Vegas to a filtered 1.5g tank, but not sure yet if 'we' are both happy about it. Shimmer moved to the 1.1g tank and is having a ball (seems as he is the size of a tiny paperclip)!

If they load correctly, the first pic is of new baby Betta, Casper (white/pink). The second/third is Shimmer (blue baby), in the new tank today, and close-up a couple days ago. The fourth pic is Vegas (adult), deciding if he likes his filtered tank. All seem to be healthy and eating like it's going out of style (don't worry, I don't overfeed, even if they beg)! Love these little guys!
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Nice job...and you got that right....a bit like potato chips...Bettas can be really addictive....laffs....Its hard to keep just one..........lol.....
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #7 
SolomonFinch

Hi! Pretty fish you have there!
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #8 
VegasShimmer

Still doing well.....

Thank you, SolomonFinch!

Casper's 'stress stripes' are slowly fadiing, but I have noticed he is still very skitterish and darts around if I make a sudden move close-up. I try to move real slow around his tank when feeding, and notice he watches me very carefully. Will this change once he (I refer to both my babies as 'he' until I know for sure) settles in and adapts a bit longer?

Even teeny tiny Shimmer is more social and swims up to me when I stand in front of his tank. I was thinking of putting Casper in a 1.5g today, do you think that will help or stress him out more? He is eating well and calmly glides around his .5 tank when I watch at a distance.

Here's today's picture. Sorry for the glare and phone reflection.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice fish you have there!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #10 
MollyJean

Heeelllloooo! You have BEAUTIFUL Fish! And they look so healthy! I'm glad you've found us, but I should warn you now.. we LOVE pictures, you'll need to upload more. LOTS more ;)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote