Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 
Vizja13

Question Question about Amazon Sword

I have an amazon sword in my planted tank (a 5.5 gal with fertilized substrate. One betta, one Oto). The Sword is then planted in a terra cotta pot filled with said substrate.

So my problem is, everything else in that tank is growing like CRAZY. Soon, I'll have Java Fern growths from it to put in the divided ten I'm working on now (I think the bettas in there are enjoying the constant scenery changes xP) I have an oto, and I still had to pull a ton of algae from the tank when I returned from vacation...from a tank that requires minimal maintenance. So why is my Sword not growing back?

History on the sword...it was originally in my ten gallon, which was the only tank in use when I redid my room. To repaint, I had to pull the tank out of the room, which meant almost all the water was drained from it. When I filled it again, something was in the water, even after treatment, that damaged the plants and killed my guppies and betta (RIP Jazz, you were great even with the constant fin biting <3 ). It also damaged the plants, killing the Water Wistera. The ferns are now doing great, and the Sword is still ALIVE. The tank has been going since June...second or third week of, I believe. I need to check receipts to make sue that is true though.

So, what am I doing wrong? Is it possible to save the little thing? What should I change?
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

I think swords tend to grow slowly... I have two types of sword plants and they both grow very slow, while some of my other plants grow very quickly.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #3 
Vizja13

But six months with no obvious growth? That seems a bit extreme to me. Maybe I'm wrong but...
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Hmm, it might be stunted. Are you fertilizing regularly?

Can you take a pic of it?
My swords arent growing any taller, but they do sprout new leaves pretty regularly so this is intriguing me.
Is it still green? Or does it look like its dying?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off Otos are schooling. Second Otos should be ideally in a 20G.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

I've had a rosette sword for about the same amount of time as you, and I've only seen a couple of new leaves in the center. It could also have something to do with fact that it's in a pot. I'm not sure, though. Just throwing out suggestions.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My sword grew fast then stopped growing.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #8 
Vizja13

Ae, I will go get the SD card, I have a pic of is somewhere. I don't use a liquid (or dissolved etc.) fertilizer in the tank, I have this stuff as substrate.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

It looks...well yeah, like it's dying. I don't think it's the lights, which are...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I think...I should have a box around here somewhere
Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Hmm... what else do you know about that light? I wonder if it's not bright enough. I know with compact fluorescents you need 6500K for there to be good growth.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #10 
aemaki09

the light looks good, and the substrate is good too. HMM what is your light cycle?

If it were me, I'd cut all the dead/dying leaves off and just leave the crown. If it doesnt start re-generating itself after another month or two then toss it.

AS long as the crown is green it should grow back, but whatever that chemical was to kill the fish and other plants could have easily done something to ruin this one too, but taking a longer time to destroy it because they are a little hardier than the other plants you had.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote