Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #11 
aemaki09

Water wisteria can be left floating.
My petsmart sells amazon sword, under amazon sword, it might just be a seasonal thing though? I havent looked for a few weeks.
Anubias is good but it has to be tied like your java does. I tie mine with thread around the rhizome, its really simple and works. You can also use fishing line, and I actually would have prefered doing that than thread as my thread has started to desolve before the roots attached themselves before.

Other good plants would be anarchis, money wort, java moss, bacopa, cabomba, hornwort, vallisneria, uhm, practically everything they sell at petstores is low light. My anarchis doesnt really do well with incandescent light though, if I were you I'd just run to walmart and get some CFL's for your tank, they are pretty cheep and much better for your plants IMO.
Oh and for your fern, I'd go ahead and tie that into the tank you plan to keep it in permanently. You can move it to another tank if you want but it doesnt really change its growth rate or anything. I only move the smallest cuttings from stem plants into different tanks and the only reason I have for it is because I dont want them being sucked up into the filter.
With fertilizer, IME it depends on your stocking level as to whether or not you will need it. In my 10 I use it since its low stocking, but when I try to use it in my 26 I get crazy amounts of algea because I am fully stocked in it.

I think that covers most of your questions right?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #12 
LadyVictorian

That about did it thanks :D
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #13 
aemaki09

No problem! I just started with plants not too long ago as well and I've learned a TON since then. I'm glad to pass on any information that could possibly help with someone.
Learning about how to keep plants is actually a lot harder than keeping the plants.
Main things to know are that you dont uproot them too often or it will discourage thier growth, If they start dying off then fertilize, but dont over-fertilize, and get the right light.
Goodluck! :)
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #14 
LadyVictorian

Thanks, I am excited to start this planted tank because slowly plantlets from the big tank will move into the 5 and 2.5 gallon as well :D so all my tanks will be fully planted.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #15 
aemaki09

Goodluck!! thats how mine worked too! I started with my 26, and after about a month plants started getting into my 10, then another 10, then a 5, and so on so forth lol now they are even in my QT's and the cups my betta's came in as QT for some of them.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There are a few Amazon Sword Types.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

Also since my java isn't rooted yet to the driftwood what should I do to keep the snail off?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Snails wont eat it. Java has a special chemicals to avoid being eaton. But snails will eat dead parts. What is it attached with? Cotton? fishing line?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #19 
LadyVictorian

Okay good, I tossed some spinage in for him and he seems to be more interested in that right now than the java but before he was crawling on it and making the plant tilt and fall to the sides. Tooo big for this tiny plant is he.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I got this cool Java fern at Petco. Fake log that looks like a tree and Java Fern/Moss are the leaves.