Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Guppies are great fish. I would be careful though. Many are very inbred. My ten gallon is probably more than 24" long.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #22 
LadyVictorian

Can you mix colors or if you get say the green verity do they all need to be greens? Or can they be say one green, one blue, and one yellow? I know at petsmart they separate by color and then have one tank called 'fancy' where they pretty much just look like a mess of color.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #23 
pittipuppylove

A standard 10 gallon tank is 20" long x 11" deep x 13" tall.

No reason you can't get different colors, they're all the same species. I'm not entirely sure why Petsmart seperates them out as the guppies certainly don't care if their tankmate is the same color or pattern.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #24 
Skyewillow

Some females will attack and kill guppies. My fiance's female is notorious for killing tankmates. I think I actually posted about that on a similar thread earlier today.

A small school of pygmies (about 5) would be fine in a 10 gallon, since they require less space than a bronze for example, and 5 bronzes (or similarly sized cories) is recommended as the max for a 10. They do spend a lot of time midwater, and they are still bottom feeders (we have 8 in our half-planted 30 gal guppy tank).

I kept my male with platies recently, and didn't really have any issues. The only problem here is that I think they're recommended for 15gals up.

If you're going to try guppies, I would buy commons (feeders) first and see how it goes. That way, if it doesn't work, it didn't cost as much as a group of fancy guppies would've. Plus, commons are really interesting.

I basically hold the same philosophy for bettas that I have for piranhas, "Don't house anything with a betta that you'd mind losing". Every betta is an individual, and some (like Mushu) will tolerate tankmates while some (like Jade) will kill everything else.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #25 
LadyVictorian

I'm pretty confident she would be fine. She has left the snail well enough alone now aside from rubbing on it a few times or watching it crawl along the glass. When she was younger she was hyper and mean but now that she is matured she's a lot calmer like my boy. In fact I think she is a little afraid of the snail, he's bigger than her. Nix is also small because of stunted growth. I got her as a fry at petco and I kept her fairly well socialized by making sure she could interact with my male when she was a baby side by side with him and his frog. I was actually surprised by how cool she is with my snail. Now the plant is another issue. She isn't sure she is cool with the moss balls....they seem like they are up to something clearly as she is always obsessively watching them because they randomly roll.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #26 
Skyewillow

Snails and other fish are two different things, and inspire two separate sets of instincts. A snail she'll ignore, or see as food, but other fish might make her territorial.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I just don't want you to be disappointed if she doesn't take to tankmates like you want her to. There's a pretty good chance she'll be fine, but expect the unexpected and you'll be prepared for whatever outcome! :)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Many People keep Neons in 10 gallons. It would probably work. My 10 looks longer than 20".
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #28 
aemaki09

there really aren't alot of choices for a 10 gallon out there. I know you said you are having a hard time trying to find females that you like, but I really think that'd be the best bet.
If not then I would go ahead and give guppies a shot, of whichever sex you want.
Dwarf rasboras and white cloud minnow's could work as well, they are both schooling species but I think you would be fine with 4 of them plus your female and your snail.

a good website to check is aqadvisor.com when you are stocking a new tank to see if you are overstocked.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #29 
LadyVictorian

Thanks for the info

And I am always prepared, reason I am skittish about a sorority is they have good chances of going south fast. Plus I don't want to risk another female betta killing my snail.

As for if things go wrong with the guppies I'm only getting three like Choc brought up so if it goes bad I have a spare tank to put them in. 20 gallons. Never set it up because it's a lot of work. I am sure 3 guppies and some tetra's would be okay in a tank like that. xD
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #30 
Skyewillow

make sure you keep your male to female ratio 2 ladies for every gentleman. lol or, DON'T make our mistake and just go for a "bachelor" tank...

We're constantly swamped with babies (they can have up to 200+ babies per "litter"), it's to the point where Mike fished out 60 babies and put them in the frog tank, and this was after 2 weeks of feeding fry to the bettas... They put rabbits to SHAME! lol