Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #31 
LadyVictorian

I think all boys sounds more attractive my the second. Nix can have her own group of fish guy friends to swim around with.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #32 
Skyewillow

Mike had tried feeding a pair of young common males to Jade, and she kept both of them around until we put Mushu by her, then one of them mysteriously disappeared. The other one went into my frog tank with all of my common girls. lol

You should check out platinum guppies, they're one of my favorite varieties
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #33 
LadyVictorian

Are they fairly common at petstores?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #34 
Skyewillow

I've only seen one place that's carried them locally, but we live in a very small town, your area might have more. We also have half-blacks, cobras, and "Variatus" aka Fancies of no particular variety (or mutt guppies)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #35 
LadyVictorian

Cobra's I have seen at our local petshop. They tend not to have healthy fish though.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #36 
Skyewillow

because people inbreed them to death. That's another reason I like my common guppies so much, they tend to be the result of outcrossing strains, and they go from fancies to an almost wild form. They're a little less inbred (although all fancies tend to be too inbred) and are generally used in breeding programs to "deepen" the available gene pool.

I currently have a nice magenta and yellow male with a flag fin. He came in a big frog fodder purchase, and I really like the look of him. My other "big" male is all pastel pinks and blues, and from the same batch of breeders.

they also don't take long to recover from bad conditions at the petstores. We have a variatus (fancyxcommon) who survived 3 months in my 55 degree goldfish tank! (Mike tried feeding his excess fry to the goldfish and they missed one) She is now my son's pet fish, and her name is "Crit" after a "crit roll" for survival (D&D).
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #37 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Guppies are so Inbred most can ONLY live in freshwater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #38 
LadyVictorian

Are the mutts a little healthier then? Because they are bred from various varieties? I think the mixed tank with all the guppies who have mixed colors are mutts and are cheaper than the yellows, greens, ect.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine are mutts and no genetic birth defects.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #40 
LadyVictorian

I think I will try to go for some mutts then, three little mutts and see how they work out. Since they are cheaper if they die before 2 week qt is up it won't be too bad for my paycheck at least.