Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #51 
ashleigheperry

My bettas Nereus and Pontos were named after water deities! I did a search on Wikipedia and these were two of my favorites. I like that the names are related (even though the bettas themselves are not). Plus they just sound awesome. I love Greek mythology.

Quote:
PONTOS (or Pontus) was the divinity of the sea, one of the Protogenoi or first born gods. He was the father of the most ancient of sea-gods by the earth-goddess by Gaia (Earth) including Nereus, Phorkys and Keto.
Quote:
NEREUS was the old man of the sea, and the god of the sea's rich bounty of fish. He dwelt in the depths of the Aegean with his wife Doris and fifty Nereid daughters. Like many of the other sea-gods Nereus was a master shapeshifter, and spoke with prophetic voice.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #52 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Ranmaru- He wasn't full grown when I got him, just he was pretty and small. Thus named him Ranmaru after a historic person who was noted for his beauty XP

Ikiryo- A soul that wanders beyond its living body. My boyfriend thought he looked ghostly and wanted a name to match. :)
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #53 
Tabbie82

Ok, here goes...

Maui- His blue and red coloring reminded me of water and sunsets and big red flowers. Basically, I got a tropical vibe from him.

Feng- I had a hard time naming him and his tank is decorated in a kind of oriental theme. So when my cousin first saw it, he said I had done "feng-shui" on his room, so I named him Feng!

Puddles- Again, I had a hard time naming him and he is in my smallest tank, a 3 gallon. I happened to be reading about how bettas supposedly lived in puddles and well, the name stuck.

Dagger- He is an all-black crowntail with a bit of metallic gold coloring in his fins. (Here's where it gets kinda nerdy) When he swims, he reminds me of those creatures from Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess... And I wanted to give him a badass name. The tips of his fins look like they are sharp, so I called him Dagger.

Picasso- He is white with splashes of red and when I saw him, the red reminded me of paint. Picasso was the first artist that popped into my head after thinking it looked like paint.

Monkey- This one is pretty simple. He has a flesh colored face (believe it's called piebald?) Anyway, I bought him from Aquabid and the description on him said he was a monkey face. So, he is now Monkey.

Nate- I had been trying hard to think of a name for him, but was failing. Then I went to a Pink concert and she did the duet with Nate Ruess from fun and I have loved him forever, since he was the singer in The Format. So I thought, hmm... Nate would be a good name for my unnamed fish. Then I finished decorating his tank and thought how it looked so pretty Nate Berkus could have designed it, and well, now he has to be called Nate.

My mind works in crazy ways!!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #54 
mermaid77

I had initially named my boy Sushi...thought it was cute at first...but then I was like, wait a minute...dead fish? Nahhhh...as a first timer don't wanna jinx it with the name! lol So I renamed him Inuyasha after one of my favorite Japanese anime characters (fighter/warrior type) who wears a red kimono...he's a nice rich red color and a 'fighter' fish after all so I think this name fits him perfectly!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #55 
Tabbie82

Ah, man, Inuyasha! I used to watch that on Adult Swim! Love it!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #56 
mermaid77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
Ah, man, Inuyasha! I used to watch that on Adult Swim! Love it!
Thanks!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #57 
bniebetta

My fish is named Cinna. I originally considered the name "Cinnamon" because of his red color, but then remembered the character named Cinna in The Hunger Games. I thought this was really fitting because of the parallels in Betta attributes to the strength and fierceness (however subtle) of the character in the book.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #58 
campbellsusa

My boy is named "Chemo"... he was an encouragement gift just after I was diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer 8 months ago. He came to me in a 1/2 gallon bowl with pink gravel and a neon pink/purple/yellow/green "reef". I just moved him into a 5 gallon aquarium 2 hours ago. Now he's really active checking out his new environment. Thankfully, I'm done with chemo-therapy... but "Chemo" is a blessing and I hope to have him in my life for a long time!
campbellsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #59 
quietlythundering

So I have three, but tomorrow, I'm hoping to add someone new to the family

Neil-Originally, I named him Neely, like the character from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It just seemed like a natural evolution; I'd walk over and say, "Hey Neel!" so I eventually just decided to keep it like that (with a spelling change.) He's the Alpha Betta and he knows it

Chappy-Like, Chap, a word that means friend. I though it would seem more feminine if I added the extra "-py," and it really seems to suit her! She's very friendly, and greets me whenever I walk up to her tank. She eats like a shark too.

Ray Charles (Formerly Blind Willie)-I saw him in a Petsmart, and well, from his name...yes he's blind. No eyes, at all, of which to speak of. When I mentioned him to my boyfriend, he immediately said, "Ray Charles." At first I went with Blind Willie, but Ray Charles seem to fit him more. He likes to relax either in his feeding ring or by sitting between two plant stalks near the top of the water. I think it comforts him to constantly have something touch him.

And as for the newest edition.....I don't know yet! But hopefully I'll know when I see him/her.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #60 
veilmist

I love the name Ray Charles! I might have to steal it one day lol.
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote