Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Unhappy Attack!

So yeah for about more than a month my crowntail has been living peacefully with my platties. That is until today. I don't know what to do now so yeah help! Idk if that might help but here:

Housing
What size is your tank? 21 gallons
What temperature is your tank? approximately 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, aquaclear 30
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 red comet platies

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets intended for bettas and Tetra freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day. Bloodworms once or twice a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Each 2 days because the tank is cycling
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra aquasafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: About 0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Part of his tail is ripped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing, he acts normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just before posting this, feeding time
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes i've separated him in a kitchen tupperware for now and is floating in my tank, idk if i should do that or put him in a fish bowl. That's all i can do for now... Suggestions?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No never
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought him one month and a half ago and he seems young.

Will his tail grow back and what should i do? The bowl or floating in the tupperware for him to get the heat he needs? What could have made the platies behaviour change?

Last edited by WhiskeyHands; 12-30-2012 at 06:55 PM.
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 
Myates

His fin will repair itself.. no need to separate him or treat him with anything. Only treat if it were rotting away.

Make sure the filter isn't too strong (use an aquarium sponge in the outflow section to help reduce the current if you can't turn the filter to a lower setting).

Make sure there are no pointy plastic plants that can snag his fins.

If it's just a rip it will fuse back together rather quickly on it's own - can happen from something pointy or over flaring.

If there is a chunk missing it could be self inflicted or a nip from another fish - either way it's not hurting him and it will grow back on it's own in time.

Just keep up on the water changes to avoid bacteria from setting in. Keep an eye on it and see whether or not it looks like he is being nipped. Platies tend to be easy on bettas, but it can happen.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 
WhiskeyHands

Okay thanks and i dont have anything that can hurt him, all my plants are either live or in silk, just no plastic. And good, i'll just go put him back, yup theres a big part missing
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #4 
callistra

Are you sure they're biting him? I mean have you seen it? You might have some rot.. it's really common for bettas to get fin rot when they're used as a fish in cycle. He also may be biting himself. Which part of his fins are ripped? The filter intake tube can mess up fins if you haven't put a prefilter sponge on it. Photos would be helpful.

If they really are biting and they won't stop they may just not be able to live peacefully together. Each individual circumstance is different. Lots of hiding places and plants helps. Platies also really need to be kept in larger groups of at least 5 or 6 and they may be attacking because they're feeling so insecure. Adding more may help.. or it may make it worse, but really for the platies sake you need more.

Some help with your cycle.. Your ammonia should never get that high. You need a water change in the main tank. You should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrites and do a water change any time you see either hit .25ppm. In addition to this, a weekly 20-30% water change will be needed. Eventually ammonia will hit 0 and you will see a nitrite spike. Then the nitrites will get to 0 and you'll only be left with nitrates. At this point you're good to go with a weekly water change of 20%+ http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 07:50 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #5 
WhiskeyHands

Nope didnt see them bite him.

His lower back fin

maybe its the filter because theres no prefilter

i had 3 platies one died couple weeks ago but they have been living good till now (i think)

Ammonia isnt dropping before or after WC it always stays the same, i have no idea why. I was doing WC everyday until someone told me i shouldnt so i did it every 2 days now

Tags
attack, betta, nip, platty