Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 
Grv97

New Betta not eating!!!

I just got a Betta fish yesterday and I've been trying to give Alpha (his name is Alpha) food but he wont eat it! im using the color enhancing food. I don't think he is sick because hes pretty active. I have a 1 gallon tank and he swims all over it and always comes up to me when I look at him. he even plays with me when I put my finger up to the tank and follows it around! could it be because the tank is too small or cold? or is he just adjusting to his new tank?
Grv97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 
PopzTheBetta

if the tank isnt heated that may be the problem, but most new bettas dont eat at first give it a few days and he may come around, also a side note make sure the main ingreadiant in the food is some kind of meat there carnavors so they like that
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
Grv97

yea, I thought it would be because of one of those things. And the food has the brine shrimp it it, so there is some meat. and how long could they go without food?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 
PopzTheBetta

they could go a week, if he doesnt start eating id get worryed but for now keep an eye on him
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

He might just be adjusting.. What's the temperature and tank size? What brand is the food?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

They could last around 3 weeks without food, don't worry he won't starve.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 
Myates

After 2 weeks a healthy betta will start to feel the effect of no food, but can go around a month with no food.

Can take some a couple weeks before they start eating healthy.. can try another brand of food - Omega One Betta Buffet and the New Life Spectrum are popular with picky eaters as well. I have literally about a dozen different pellet foods that I use between all of mine to keep up with picky eaters, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 
Grv97

Well right after i got off of here yesterday, i went and tried one more time to feed Alpha and he ate some! at first he flared at it and backed away, then he ate it, but then he spit most of it out.... but at least he ate some flakes. i guess he just needed to get used to his tank.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #9 
callistra

How did you acclimate him to his new water? What conditioner are you using?

Your boy is going to need a heater to keep him healthy long term.. Unless you keep your house a constant temp 80F+ (meaning not even temp swing/drops at night).

1 gallon bowls can be hard to heat though, and really 2 gallons is minimum for keeping bettas healthy long term..

You will have to use one of those preset non adjustable small ones, and you absolutely must use an in tank thermometer (something that looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Floatin...a+thermometers) to monitor temps because they are really unreliable, tend to fail, not keep temps constant and/or overheat the water. You should also give them a test run for 24 hours in a same sized container without your fish to make sure they will hold temp and work properly. Once you have figured out they will you need to acclimate your boy slowly to the warmer water. Since these are non adjustable and you have no control about how fast the water heats up you'll have to cup him (in like a fresh plastic solo cup) and float him in the warmer water for about an hr to acclimate.

For that small 1 gallon you will need ideally 3 water changes a week 50%, 50% and finally 100% which will include a thorough rinsing of the gravel and all ornaments to remove all the poop and debris that has accumulated over the course of the week. At minimum you need 2 - one 50% and one 100% at week's end.

I also suggest using Prime as your conditioner (what are you using now?) because it will help render some of that ammonia that he will see over the course of the week harmless to him.

I would suggest not using flakes in a container that small, because you can't help but keep some of it from falling to the bottom if not just plain dissolving in the water. Flakes muck of water way faster than pellets which can be fully consumed or taken out of the water, and your 1 gallon will grow ammonia fast enough without any help. I suggest New Life Spectrum Betta pellets (feed 5-8 split up into 2 or even 3 smaller meals with one fast day a week) or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets (feed 3-4 split up with one fast day a week).

This is how to do all those large water changes without shocking your fish:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #10 
Grv97

I did hear that a 1 gallon tank is small and i looked for heaters and they dont have any for a 1 gallon tank. but ive been keeping it hotter in my house anyway because it gets pretty cold since its winter. right now its like 79. and i totally changed his water wrong.... i saved his cup from when i first got him and i carefully scooped him in that, then i got his tank, and just dumped allll the water out. then i rinsed it with warm water like 20 times. after it rinsed clean i filled it up and put in SplendidBetta water conditioning for 1 gallon and then i drained some of the water from his cup and then held it in the tank and he swam out. thanks for telling me how to actually do it! and im definatly gonna upgrade his tank for that heater.