Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

I am frustrated

So I have been doing experiments on my spare filter to see what works as far as baffling. The result I was looking for was a slight decrease in flow. The cause I was hoping for was a prefilter sponge. Well, when I put the prefilter sponge on, it didn't change the flow AT ALL :,''(

Several people have told me that a prefilter sponge would slow down the flow at least a little bit....So whats going on!?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #2 
RoMay

I have seen a metod of cutting a bio bag in half and using rubber bands to hold it in place where the water flows out. I never had to worry abotu a current in my betta's tank yet, but if it warms up enough and I get bored I might screw with my minnows filter see if I can slow that down. I know I did it once on accident putting fake plants in front of the intake (oups).

Sorry you just seemed so lonely here with no one replying.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #3 
Meggie6347

I baffled mine using the water bottle method and it worked great for me! (just be careful with the sharp edges from cutting the bottle....one of my shrimp got cut in half ) maybe give t a go?

Sorry this method didn't work for you....it's always frustrating!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #4 
DiiQue

What type of filter do you have? Can you attach pics of your setup? This would better allow us to offer suggestions as we could be able to see how you have everything laid out.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Well could it not be working because the intake tube is too skinny for the sponge? I put a rubber band around the top to keep it in place but it was loose around the rest of it. Would that make a difference?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #6 
DiiQue

Probably. It's hard to vision how you have it set up but if there is space for water to go around the sponge and into the tube, then yes, that may be the reason why you see no change. How about working on baffling through the outflow? I tied my sponge to the nozzle where the water pours out into the main tank and that worked really well for me.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

That is very likely, I would think. Try putting another rubber band in the bottom and see what happens?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

But then again, how would that make a difference? The filter still has to suck water through the sponge before getting it in the intake, so how would a tighter sponge make a difference?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Well the water can get past the sponge and into the intake easier. Kind of like if you were to wrap a blanket around your head tightly, or wrap it loosely... It's easier to breathe if its loose, lol. Sorry for the bad example :p

Edit: I'm not 100% sure on it but like I said, it could be easy to try it and see if it helps.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Well the water can get past the sponge and into the intake easier. Kind of like if you were to wrap a blanket around your head tightly, or wrap it loosely... It's easier to breathe if its loose, lol. Sorry for the bad example :p

Edit: I'm not 100% sure on it but like I said, it could be easy to try it and see if it helps.
That does make sense...I think what I'll do is put a strip of some other sponge into the prefilter sponge so that it fits tighter and then see what happens...