Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #11 
JAGalletta

I wouldn't baffle the outflow too much because it could cause the water level in the filter to rise, thereby causing the water flow to avert the filter media. I had this problem with a power 10. I never did get it baffled correctly, but I'd have to agree that a tighter sponge would result in less water flow (speaking in terms of the intake). A tighter sponge would not only prevent water from getting through the gap between the sponge and the intake, but would also have smaller holes for the water to flow through, making it harder for the filter to suck up water, and essentially decreasing flow. Just think of a sponge as a bunch of garden hoses and put a rope around the hoses so that they're all kinked, and less water will pass through. Makes sense to me... I'd like to see it in practice first before I'd claim it actually works, though.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

It didnt seem to do anything....I am even more frustrated now...I hate this filter. It's the Azoo mignon 150
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #13 
JAGalletta

I couldn't deal with it either. I got an airlift sponge filter for my 5.5 and an underrgravel for my 10 gal.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Which sponge filter do you use for your 5.5 gallon? I feel like they take up too much room and theres too many parts to buy seperately :(
Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

My tetra internal filters that came with my five gallon kit are amazing. I have never had to baffle them and my blind CT swims right in front of it with no issues. I can't find them in stores though... They have a high/low flow switch on the back.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Is it the 3i one here? http://www.petco.com/product/12460/T...MobileOptOut=1
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah it looks exactly like that... However, I looked at that one the last time I went to Petco and I noticed that it didn't have the same high/low flow switch on the back. O.o not sure why the kit one came with it when the other ones I've found don't. My Petco isn't particularly huge though and didn't have everything the site does. I have the 10i one (I think) for my ten gallon tank and the flow is too strong.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #18 
waterdog

The intended purpose of the sponge is to trap large debris before it enters your pump. A clean sponge should have no effect on water flow. If it gets cloged and slows down intake too much you risk burning out your pump.
The cut bottle method is the surest and safest way IMO.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #19 
shellieca
Reference Team

I cut the prefilter & put a strip INSIDE the intake arm which slowed the output & I lowered the water level so that it cascades. I have the TopFin 10 filters
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I cut the prefilter & put a strip INSIDE the intake arm which slowed the output & I lowered the water level so that it cascades. I have the TopFin 10 filters
I think I am just going to do what you did. How often do you need to rinse out that strip of sponge?