Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #1 
SQUIRT1216

Can I turn off the filter at night or during the day?

So, i am a poor college student haha, and i live with 3 other roommates, and i have five 10 gallons in my room. Since I cannot turn off the heater for obvious reason, can i turn off my filter (keep it on about 3-4 hours/day) to save on electricity? I am willing to change water often. Like 25% every 3 days. I have to lock my door most of the time so my roommates don't know i have gazillion of fish tanks in my room lol.

I am not worried about bacteria dying since I actually only have 1 cycled tank anyways, and it is live plant so I probably gonna keep that one on most of the time

My room light is really really bright so I actually never turn on any of the tank light except for the panted one. Can't wait for the summer time, when i can also turn off the heaters too

Last edited by SQUIRT1216; 12-31-2012 at 02:36 AM.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #2 
aemaki09

I dont see it being a problem since you dont mind not having a cycled tank, but you will definitely want to get an ammonia test kit at the least to make sure that you know when you need to change your tank water.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 AM   #3 
SQUIRT1216

I do have the test kit that cost me like $25. But i could never actually know if they are accurate because when i tested the ammonia of the original water in the little cup that the betta came with, the reading is still 0 even with all the floating poo around it. Maybe the fish store actually change the water every day idk.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Hmm, I'd get some actual ammonia from the store and put a few drops in a container and test from that to see if the test will change, or just wait until water change day and test before water changes.
OR you could get one of those seachem ammonia alert's for your tanks. They work very well, I have them on all of mine just in case.
Regaurdless, IMO, if you arent worried about a cycle then theres no need to keep a filter as your betta doesnt need one anyways.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

Filters are kind of an all or nothing thing. They would be pointless to use if you don't have them on 24/7, so either leave them on or take them out. I mean, they do move the water, and might remove some stuff, but if you are pinching pennies you might as well just safe yourself the hassle of remembering if they are on or off.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #6 
SQUIRT1216

Well, i looked up the energy usage for the filter and they are like 10-20 watt so it adds up to 70Kwh max a month so I guess it pretty negligible. I am out of the house 12 hours a day every day anyways so I barely even use the electricity at home so i guess it's fair. Thanks for the response though
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #7 
Myates

It is unwise to keep turning your filter on and off - you will be messing up any cycle it's trying to do, risk killing off bacteria and when the filter is turned back on the dead bacteria is pushed into the tank.. which could end up bad.

Highly highly suggest keeping it on or off, otherwise you are risking the life of your fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 
MSG

Not sure what kind of filter you're using....

But all the filters (AquaClear 30, Whisper PF, Aqueon QF) I've tested out consumed roughly 3W-7W.

The most powerful filter I'm using is the Bio-Wheel 400 & it consumes less than 5 watts & designed for an 80G tank.
  • The accessories that use the most amount of electricity are incandescent lights & aquarium heaters.

• 10 HOB style filters will use less electricity than a single 60W light bulb or 75W heater.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #9 
SQUIRT1216

Yea, i decided to keep them on. I already spent like $500 on all of the equipments and my bettas so what the heck, a few extra bucks a month would far more worth it than dead fishies.