Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM   #1 
Abby

1 m 1 f in 20 ltr tank..

so i have a male emerald dragon betta in a 20 ltr tank tok pitty on a female in lfs and put her in a guppy breeder box in his tank. when she went in he had been clamp and depressed for almost 2 weeks i thoughted he die on me (cost me $55) she jumped out i noticed her free swimming i freaked
she bailed three more time and now is just loose with him for the last three days and NO DAMAGE. hes unclamped and happier. whos says you cat keep one of each together huh?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
so i have a male emerald dragon betta in a 20 ltr tank tok pitty on a female in lfs and put her in a guppy breeder box in his tank. when she went in he had been clamp and depressed for almost 2 weeks i thoughted he die on me (cost me $55) she jumped out i noticed her free swimming i freaked
she bailed three more time and now is just loose with him for the last three days and NO DAMAGE. hes unclamped and happier. whos says you cat keep one of each together huh?
Sorry, let me get this straight - are they in the same tank?

If so, remove them IMMEDIATELY.

They may look all fine and happy for now, but Betta are territorial fish and they WILL eventually fight. And it could be deadly.

Please at-least separate them for their own sakes, or yours.

You may also get an accidental spawn.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #3 
Hopelessaddict101

Sorry if that sounded harsh..
but I cannot stress how badly this can and probably will turn out if it's given the chance. :*(
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #4 
Captain Jim Dandy

Hopeless is right, Abby.. I think you are pretty lucky so far, Your male is more passive than some, and may(probably) has love on his mind. If she doesn't quickly respond in kind he may become anxious and violent. If you are unable to separate with at least another large as possible bowl get her back in container and put lid on..even plastic wrap with holes. Yes it is possible you have out of ordinary relationship here, but not likely to go on forever. If you value your fish's health, please look into at least being ready to grab her out, alright?
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #5 
Hopelessaddict101

And also one other thing... they may be passive right now, but it takes Betta a week or so to get used to their surroundings... and then the fight for territory will begin. There is a 99% guarantee that they will fight. And it may not be pretty :/

Please remove her from the tank, unless you can make a divider. You can even just float her in a bowl at the top of the tank, like I do when I get new Betta for awhile.

Best of luck.
xx
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Never, Ever. Keep male and female together.

did you know they give off a "scent" as if to say, here I am, this is me? When in the same tank, even divided, the female can have some problems such as: lethargy, clamping, immune system crash, egg bound. All of which can lead to sickness and/or death.
Males can become more violent, irritated, or if they are more passive they can become the prey...to the female. They can also start tail biting out of frustration.

I have seen a few people work with this, however their tanks I believe are 20 GALLONS long or bigger, stuffed so full of plants you can barely see anything other than plants, and they have the tank completely cycled, and maintain it every week to ensure the pheromones stay down, and the fish remain healthy.

IF your fish breed, the eggs will die. 1. There is not enough room in the tank. 2. I do not think you have the foods ready at hand. 3. In a small tank, I am unsure if you have an adjustable heater. 4. Ammonia is more present in smaller tanks.

Then, if they breed, the male will attack the female until she hides or dies. Doesn't matter to him. As long as his nest is safe. You do not want that! I've also had manly females that have killed their partner.

Is that a risk, you are willing to take? We want to ensure you have the knowledge, and the power, to have healthy and active fish. We don't want you to waste all that time and money for these fish, because of something that could have been fixed.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 
Abby

Until i see an issue there is no reason for me to seperate you all have your own opinions, i have mine, I know my fish. i had him in a divided tank next to a female he almost died clamped and nose in the corner. i put in the 20 lt same thing she was in the guppy breeder box but kept jumping out i noticed and moved her, he clamped up until he jumped again.

she cruises around the log and plants he flirts with her MAYBE once a day, theres too much current for a bubble nest she has NO DAMAGE after 4 or 5 days neither does he. shes coloured more then when she was in the guppy tannk they are both eating. they ARE HAPPY if it means my $55 fish isnt going to die then im happy to leave them their till i see an issue.

its either that or put her in the female tank to be killed because shes A) smaller then the others nd B) she hasnt got much of a tail (WAS THE REASON I BOUGHT HER she was missing a bit of tail and slowly regrowing.) she actually looks happier too.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

You do not need to snap at us. We want to ensure your fish do not die. If you do not want our help, why did you ask?

Sorry for wasting your time with valuable information that puts your fish's needs before anything else.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 
Abby

THERE IS TOO STRONG A CURRENT for any nest, if i NOTICE A NEST then i will look at the situation.

AND FYI to those who think im stupid (like all of you) I am set up, ready for a spawn (I AM NOT TRYING TO BREED THEM THIS IS NOT MY SPAWN SET UP I AM JUST LETTING YOU ALL KNOW IF IT WERE TO HAPPEN I AM CAPIBABLE OF LOOKING AFTER IT.)
my lounge/kitchen/dining rooms are full of tank set ups.there is a heater in the filtered 20lt tank there are hiding places and LIVE plants. all my tanks over 15ltrs have heaters and filters.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #10 
Abby

your all snappy at me, telling me to remove STRAIGHT AWAY blah blah, i didnt ask, i didnt say is it possible to keep them together i said:

So i have a male emerald dragon betta in a 20 ltr tank tok pitty on a female in lfs and put her in a guppy breeder box in his tank. when she went in he had been clamp and depressed for almost 2 weeks i thoughted he die on me (cost me $55) she jumped out i noticed her free swimming i freaked

rhetorical question.