Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #1 
Lindo

Is this Velvet or just his colors?

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
callistra

It looks like his colors to me but he's a little bloated maybe and rather clamped.. If you could fill this out I would like to make sure we're not missing anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 
Grv97

i think thats just his colors. Velvet comes from deer antlers, so its not that. and the head of the betta doesnt have large scales like the rest of the body so it looks soft. and since its red, i guess it looks like velvet! he has very pretty colors!! whatd you name him?!
Grv97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #4 
Laki

Velvet comes from deer antlers, what? No, it's a parasite called O÷dinium which strikes in any tank.

However, to the OP, fill out the sticky provided by Callistra and we will see. Some betta's grey under their chins when they get old or very sick (not velvet).

Velvet is seen by shining a light on the fish, the velvet will appear as gold dust almost. But let's not treat it as such quite yet.

I found this article helpful when I thought Ludendorff had velvet. http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm

Last edited by Laki; 12-31-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #5 
Lindo

Housing
What size is your tank? - 1/2 Gallon (Bought him a 1.5 gallon last night)
What temperature is your tank? - 84-86 (Mini Heater too strong for 1/2 gallon)
Does your tank have a filter? - No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - TetraBetta
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? - Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Betta Safe or Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? - Never Tested

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - Not really
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - Not as active since adding heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - No
How old is your fish (approximately)? - Unknown (I have had him for a little over a year)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 
callistra

He's definitely too hot.. how did you acclimate him to that water? Did you just plot the heater in and turn it on? That would have been very hard on him, and would definietly account for his behavior.

2 gallons is really minimum to keep bettas healthy long term, and then you can buy a good 25w adjustable heater. As you've learned, it's really hard to keep anything less evenly heated. Those small unadjustable heaters that are supposed to automatically turn off at a certain temp tend to fail, over heat, and/or cause lots of swings. You should also give them a test run for 24 hours in a same sized container without your fish to make sure they will hold temp and work properly. Once you have figured out they will you need to acclimate your boy slowly to the warmer water. Since these are non adjustable and you have no control about how fast the water heats up you'll have to cup him (in like a fresh plastic solo cup) and float him in the warmer water for about an hr to acclimate. It's also important to always use heaters along with an in tank thermometer like these: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-11200-Ma.../dp/B0002AQITA

The half gallon would also have required alternating 50% and 100% daily water changes or by the end of the week you would have seen very high ammonia.

At this point is he in the 1.5g yet? I would get a 2.5g+ with a good adjustable heater, but if you can't afford that I would get the 1.5g set up at a stable temp between 78-80 degrees and acclimate him slowly to fresh new appropriately adjusted water. After that along with good water changes of 3x weekly 50% 50% 100% or at minimum 2 at 50% 100%, he should perk up.

This is how you can do those large water changes without shocking him:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 
Laki

I wouldn't say velvet then if you're changing the water once a week. My mom's fish was in a 1g slowly evaporating without water change fr close to 3 weeks and it's beard is grey, no velvet.

Is he a petshop betta? Maybe he is just getting on in age? The 1.5 will be fine for now- I mean, if it is within your means to exchange it then do it but the 1.5 is fine.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #8 
callistra

Laki your mom's betta's beard is gray because it's stressed from all the ammonia build up. Gray beard is old betta or stressed betta, meaning old like 3-4+ not old like 1-2. That's very young for a betta. Bettas kept in really ideal conditions can live 5-6+ years easily. I've known them to live pretty consistently 7-9 under the right conditions, depending on their genetics.

1.5g works with frequent water changes, but even then they will be subjected to smaller levels of ammonia and it's hard to keep it heated evenly without a dedicated fish room. It's just a lot harder to keep them healthy that way. Just please don't advocate changing a one gallon bowl like that. That's extremely poor habit and bettas will definitely not live full lives in conditions like that.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #9 
Lindo

Does mine have a "grey beard"? I am color blind and I have trouble telling colors apart.

I rescued him from Wal-Mart, the water in his cup was so dirty I couldnt even tell what color he was!

I was not even shopping for a Betta, I was just walking down that aisle and I saw how bad his cup looked, and I said to my wife we are buying him NOW! lol

I have had him for a little over a year. And he has been doing good with the 1/2 gallon with no heater.

BUT, after reading stuff on this message board, I went and bought him a Marina Betta Mini Heater, but it is overheating his little 1/2 gallon. So I went and got him a Tetra 1.5 gallon LED Cube Aquarium.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #10 
callistra

No, personally I don't see a gray beard on your betta. Just the clamped look, which is probably from the temp swings. Little fin rot maybe but, he'll be fine with some consistently clean warm water at an appropriate temp :)