Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #21 
Lindo

Since I put him in his new tank, he wont stop swimming around. He loves it! :)

He used to swim around a lot in his 1/2 gallon too, but lately he was just mostly laying around the bottom.

But now he is swimming around again!

Also, instead of all spring water, I did approx. 60/40 spring/tap water. And I added BettaSafe, and when I put him in the new tank I added a little API Stress Coat.

Should I add anything else to the water? Like Bacteria drops or something?

I want everything to be perfect for my little buddy.
Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #22 
callistra

That's a bigger hole than I realized. You may want to cover it, but you still want air to get in. Plastic mesh cut to size works well: http://www.shamrockcraft.com.au/MES3...-PC-%23/pd.php You can get it a lot of places and it should be very cheap.

To treat this lip inflammation I would use Epsom salts - pure magnesium sulfate per the ingredients label with no other additives, perfumes or dyes of any kind. I know CVS Pharmacy has some: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-deta...t?skuId=215202 As would most grocery stores. To treat you will predissolve 1 tsp per gallon (so 1 and 1/2 tsp for your tank size) - put a little tank water in a plastic cup and mix up the salts really well until they dissolve. Pour this dissolved mixture very slowly into the tank over the course of an hour. You must acclimate slowly because epsom salts can lower ph and you don't want to cause shock.

I would leave him in the salts for 2 weeks. I don't think he will need anything else, but just watch him carefully. They will not leave the water, so you only need to redose along with a water change. You should change his water more frequently during this time - normally 2-3 water changes a week are needed - 2 50% and one 100% weekly. During this treatment time I would up these water changes to 100% every other day. Use the guide back on the first page to do the changes without shocking.

ETA: Didn't realize you were using spring water.. that kind of water is usually RO and you actually can't use it pure. It lacks necessary electrolytes for fish health and the ph is usually far too low to keep fish in. It's really important whatever you use however to keep it extremely consistent.. no "about" mixtures as these swings can be really hard on the fish. You can cut tap water with RO at various mixture amounts - usually 50/50 works fine or is a good starting place, but you have to test your ph and gh to be sure.. You have to measure it exactly the same every time, once you find a good mix. Usually using plain tap water is a lot easier, but there are rare cases when tap water isn't good. Can I ask why you don't want to use your tap water? Do you know the ph and gh of the tap water?

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #23 
crowntaillove3

That hole is bigger than I thought...Craft mesh would be good, or anything that allows oxygen to get in. If you can't get anything to cover it, just lower the water.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

"Velvet comes from deer antlers." Umm... Ok? It's a microscopic parasite.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #25 
callistra

^ I know I know let's not spam up his thread but I got a good laugh too.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #26 
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
To treat this lip inflammation I would use Epsom salts - pure magnesium sulfate per the ingredients label with no other additives, perfumes or dyes of any kind. I know CVS Pharmacy has some: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-deta...t?skuId=215202 As would most grocery stores. To treat you will predissolve 1 tsp per gallon (so 1 and 1/2 tsp for your tank size) - put a little tank water in a plastic cup and mix up the salts really well until they dissolve. Pour this dissolved mixture very slowly into the tank over the course of an hour. You must acclimate slowly because epsom salts can lower ph and you don't want to cause shock.

I would leave him in the salts for 2 weeks. I don't think he will need anything else, but just watch him carefully. They will not leave the water, so you only need to redose along with a water change. You should change his water more frequently during this time - normally 2-3 water changes a week are needed - 2 50% and one 100% weekly. During this treatment time I would up these water changes to 100% every other day. Use the guide back on the first page to do the changes without shocking.

ETA: Didn't realize you were using spring water.. that kind of water is usually RO and you actually can't use it pure. It lacks necessary electrolytes for fish health and the ph is usually far too low to keep fish in. It's really important whatever you use however to keep it extremely consistent.. no "about" mixtures as these swings can be really hard on the fish. You can cut tap water with RO at various mixture amounts - usually 50/50 works fine or is a good starting place, but you have to test your ph and gh to be sure.. You have to measure it exactly the same every time, once you find a good mix. Usually using plain tap water is a lot easier, but there are rare cases when tap water isn't good. Can I ask why you don't want to use your tap water? Do you know the ph and gh of the tap water?

Since I have been changing to different waters lately, would he still be acting ok even if he was getting sick due to the sudden pH changes?

Because he seems to be fine.

He swims around alot, but sometimes he stays at the top of the tank, or lays down at the bottom like he is resting.

And lately he has been nipping at the top of the water like he is mad.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #27 
crowntaillove3

Nipping at the top of the water? Like blowing a bubble? He could just be making a bubble nest, but that is unlikely because of his age. Could you be more specific, please?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #28 
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Nipping at the top of the water? Like blowing a bubble? He could just be making a bubble nest, but that is unlikely because of his age. Could you be more specific, please?
He keeps going to the top of the water, and he stares at the top like he is look at something. Then he violently nips at the top, and I can even hear the clicking sound when he does it.

He is swimming around a lot now, then he just stops and looks at the top again.

I fed him thinking he was just hungry, but he is still doing it.

And he is putting bubbles everywhere, and he even has a little bubble nest in the corner.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #29 
callistra

Maybe he doesn't like the light. Can you turn it off?

Bubble nests are a good thing. Don't worry about that.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #30 
crowntaillove3

Your guess is as good as mine.