Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 
carbonxxkidd

New planted tank - vacuuming etc

Hi everyone, I just got my 29g planted yesterday. I planted with water in the tank, and today I notice quite a few pieces of plants (broken leaves/stems - I must not have rinsed my plants well enough before putting them in the tank) laying on my substrate (eco-complete) that I was unable to grab with the net yesterday. Should I remove those or leave them? I added Seachem Flourish Complete yesterday right after planting, and I am also not sure what I should do if I do a water change - add more or just wait a week? I don't want to overdose.

Another unrelated question - I put dwarf four leaf clover in the front of my tank and it came in a pot. I was unable to remove all of the rockwool so I just cut it where it is right beneath where most of the roots are (I think?), I was scared of destroying the plant. Is it okay that I have rockwool buried in my substrate or should I try again to remove it from the plant? Thanks!

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 12-23-2012 at 09:44 AM.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Isn't eco-complete a nutrient rich plant substrate, if so, you may not need any ferts just yet or worry too much about it-The plants will tell you when they need it.

I would remove any dead/dieing leaves

I try to remove as much of the rockwool as I can-I usually will cut it away along with some roots if I need to. I have never planted a plant with very much of it still on the roots-but I wouldn't think it would be problematic-but I have never planted very much of it either.....So not 100% on that....

Look forward to some pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

I vacuum up my decaying plant matter with my weekly water changes other than that I don't worry about it as I see it as part of the natural environment. Since your tank is brand new I'm assuming you know about cycling it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

Okay! I will do that. Someone else on here told me to add the Flourish right away, but I only added a little amount, 1ml when I should have added 3ml to fully dose the tank. I have read both that Eco-complete has nutrients and that it is a hoax, so not sure what to believe, lol.

There is about maybe an inch of rockwool, probably less on the plant but I will take it out and try to remove more. I have also read mixed things about leaving it in the tank, if it's safe for fish, etc. Right now it's completely buried in the substrate.

Here are some photos of the tank:

My plan was to make it a sorority tank, and I actually added my 7 girls today (all at the same time). They are all pretty small and different colors (photos in my albums), and they seem to like it. What a nice Xmas present for them, lol! Not too much aggression yet, a little, but from what I've read it's normal. as long as they are being watched. I have the next couple days off work so I will be keeping an eye on them closely. The tank was seeded with filter media from my mom's established tank (she actually gave me her entire piece of filter floss because she replaces hers once a month for some reason) so I'm hoping with it being pretty heavily planted that my cycle will not be too hard on the fish.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Beautiful tank! Your girls will be very happy in I'm sure.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #6 
twolovers101

Oh my!! That's beautiful! I LOVE the shape of the tank! It's very unique and seems to make it easier to view the scape and everything :)

I'm sure the girls will love it, and as far as cycling goes, there shouldn't be too much of an issue, the plants will probably wind up doing most of the work anyway ^^
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #7 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks! That's kind of what I figure too. Yesterday after I planted I put my mom's old filter floss in my filter and she also dumped about 8 gallons of her tank water (some really dirty, some not so dirty) in my tank to top it off. I'm actually shocked I didn't have a huge bacteria bloom yet, but then again the plants are probably loving it! The girls seem happy, a little flaring and a little tail slapping but no nipping that I can see, and plenty of spots for them to go take a time out in the plants if they need to. My dog also has decided that he LOVES the girls, and has been watching them since I put them in the tank - super cute.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

Another question - I have read multiple things on MTS - do I want them or not? I'm not sure if the Eco-complete gets gas pockets like sand does, but I've heard they also will eat decaying plant matter and algae. My local Petsmart said they would give me some for free if I need any.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #9 
MSG

Not sure how to prepare you for this, but practice with the siphoning.

I killed so many plants in at least 50lbs of eco-complete.
  • Do NOT make contact with the surface of eco-c.
  • Be careful you don't uproot the plants when siphoning.
  • Plants get stressed when moved too often, hence the initial dying/browning of the leaves.

You're supposed to create mini cyclones with your free hand & siphon the filth storm that appears.

I haven't MASTERED this cycloning method yet, so that's why what's left of the 50lbs of eco-complete are still sitting in the 30G that I dismantled.

When I add "dirty" water into my tank for plant nutrients, I try not to use the really chunky stuff @ the bottom. That "bottom" material is way too gross for me.

That type of "gold" is reserved for the tree/shrubs in front of the house by the sidewalk.
  • Even with MTS, the EC did form gas pockets though. I only kept 1.5" layer & still not really sure what I did wrong.
  • I've had 100's of MTS in the substate, not really pleased because they didn't really blend in well with the black once the shells started to erode, it would leave these whitish shells.
  • The MTS you bring back from the petstore can harbor diseases & parasites, so keep that in mind.

It's your tank, so you'll have to decide what to do.

Do you have any cats in your house?

It's amusing when dogs take an interest in other animals. I find doggies much less destructive around fishtanks than cats are.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #10 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, I have two cats and two dogs. My cat would prefer to sit on the kitchen counter and watch my males in a 5g, the 29g is on a stand and is a bit too tall for him. Orion, the dog who likes the fish, is a lot taller than my other dog and cats so he has no problem. Kind of scared he's going to jump on the tank and cause damage though, lol. He also watched TV, very entertaining.

I have heard about the special way of vacuuming EC, I practiced a little before adding plants/fish so hopefully it won't be a huge deal. The MTS at Petsmart are in their plant tank, so not housed with fish...not sure if that makes a difference. Since you said gas pockets are possible in the EC, I'll probably look into getting some because I'd rather not have that problem if I can help it.