Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #1 
Gilbert930

Help new betta owner

We bought Gilbert at Walmart last Wednesday. He was bloated and floating when we got him. After reading other posts on Thursday I started fasting him. Yesterday I tried to feed him peas, he spits them out so I gave him an epsom salt bath. He still isn't better. Anything else I can do?
This is my first fish.
I now know after reading posts to never buy a fish at Walmart again.
He has a heater and temp is at 78.
He is in a 3.5 gallon tank by himself.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Images

Gilbert930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #2 
Myates

Buying an unhealthy fish you just don't know what you are getting yourself into......

The pea won't do anything for him.. and neither an Epsom salt bath.

Since unsure what he has, all I can recommend safely is the proper Epsom salt treatment as it's gentle and if it has anything to do with his swim bladder (which most likely it is), it will help...

Start out with 2 tsp of Epsom salt (dissolve prior to using as the crystal form can burn them) per gallon.. daily 100% water changes adding in the Epsom + conditioner each time (using a hospital tank is ideal and easier).. if it has anything to do with his swim bladder or true bloat it should help within 8 - 10 days.
A "bath" doesn't do anything, they need to be in it constantly for it to work.

Let us know how he is doing.. if he doesn't get better then let us know and we can work on another plan.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 
Gilbert930

Thanks I'm going to prepare a hospital tank right now. Should I continue to fast him while trying this?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #4 
Myates

I would try to give him food.. if he eats it then great, it will help give him energy his body needs to heal. This looks more like SBD or malnutrition issue.. he's curvy in the body, with the bulge.. so I would say it doesn't involve his digestive system.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #5 
Gilbert930

Thank you again. He is in his hospital epsom tank and I gave him some pellets. He has been very active since I put him in there.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #6 
Myates

Glad to hear :) Hope he recovers fully for you!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Does he have clear Fecal Matter?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 
Gilbert930

He hasn't had a bowel movement since I've had him, as far as I've noticed. He had clear hanging from him when I got him though. The container was dirty
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #9 
callistra

Just make sure it's pure magnesium sulfate with no additives and you have to predissolve before adding - check your ingredients label. You need to add slowly because this will effect ph and if you have very soft water it could effect it a lot. Once he's used to it he's used to it and you don't have to acclimate for subsequent water changes.

He sounds like he has an internal infection. Keep him in the epsoms. Look for Kanaplex by Seachem. If you can't find it try Maracyn Plus.. try hard.. use yellowpages.com and call around. Internal infections have a small few meds that are really effective, especially if they won't eat and you can't feed it to them.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL if you can get it will help. Callistra you stole my thunder LOL.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote