Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #11 
Chevko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Whats the miniumum tank for Hermits?
I think it's around ~10gal per one/two depending on size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Whiskers View Post
Hmmm I think they are all Purple Claw Hermies, one of them I'm not too sure yet. I guess I need to look at pics of the different species to know for sure.

Yep they have a salt pool and a fresh water pool, all conditioned too.
Eee, be careful with purple claws... Once they attach they're hard to get to let go D: I had one latch onto my palm for no reason ;___; First time I swore in front of an adult because it hurt so badly. They couldn't get him off me and thus wound up poisoning him with rubbing alcohol because they didn't know what to do.

T___T Bad experiences, but they're still so pretty!
Chevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #12 
Skyewillow

Hermies usually only pinch when they think they're going to fall. I had mine for about 3 years and never got pinched.

A regular bottle works great. Your substrate should be 4-6 inches deep, and "sandcastle" consistency. So, damp enough to build a little sandcastle, but not soupy. Then, you just bury the bottle into the sand, this makes it hard to tip over.

Here's some of the pictures of my old setup... If I didn't have the bottle in there, I would run an airline into one of their pools. Usually the fresh one, because it got a little difficult to keep the salt pond full if I did that, and would end up with salt everywhere LOL
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...illow/Hermies/
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #13 
Chevko

This guy was in the middle of my palm, not really going anywhere was the thing. Randomly opened it's claw and latched on. Been skittish of them ever since, Sanny and Quina, two of the three I once had, didn't make me skittish when they would latch on and Quina would act like it was going to latch but didn't hardly do it.

Keeping sand at sandcastle consistency is really hte best way to do it. The rule I've heard for depth is two to three times deep as your biggest crab. If one's three inches, shell included, then you need six to nine inches deep for molting purposes. I didn't have this ability when I had my three and thus had to take out my tiniest, Vivi, when it went to molt. Buried itself a good four inches down into one of those big pickle jars that was a quarter filled with sand. Went all the way to the bottom and I'm sure it would have kept going if there were more room, lol. Little guy was less than an inch tall.

Edit: Also, the album needs a password o 3o

Last edited by Chevko; 01-05-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: see edit line
Chevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #14 
Skyewillow

I thought I reset that... dangit!

Play sand is amazingly cheap, one bag will more than handle a 10 gallon for deep sand. I had a 29 going for a while, but ran out of room for climbing and hiding things. lol

EDIT: I fixed it for real this time.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 01-06-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #15 
Meowow

Hey guys! I am new to this website. However, I am not a new hermit crab (or fish) owner, and I have quite some experience with both. I have 3 hermit crabs right now! <3
Meowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #16 
Meowow

Oh, and by the way, my oldest hermit crab alive is Claws, he is about 2 years. Daisy is one, Crabby is not even a year old yet. Hermit crabs live approximately 10 years, but mine never lasted that long, because mom is always making me go to PetCo to get them. Anyway, I have been a proud hermie owner since I was just around 5 years old
Old 01-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #17 
Skyewillow

There are documented crabs at 30+ years in captivity. They're the size of a softball, and it's hard to tell exactly how old they are, but if you practice quarantine and a few other odds and ends, they'll live for a very long time!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #18 
Meowow

I will take pics of mine soon and post them
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #19 
Meowow

ok, thanks Skyewillow
Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #20 
Kitty Whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Hermies usually only pinch when they think they're going to fall. I had mine for about 3 years and never got pinched.

A regular bottle works great. Your substrate should be 4-6 inches deep, and "sandcastle" consistency. So, damp enough to build a little sandcastle, but not soupy. Then, you just bury the bottle into the sand, this makes it hard to tip over.

Here's some of the pictures of my old setup... If I didn't have the bottle in there, I would run an airline into one of their pools. Usually the fresh one, because it got a little difficult to keep the salt pond full if I did that, and would end up with salt everywhere LOL
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...illow/Hermies/
Nice pictures of your Hermies. Sushi looks like the one Hermit Crab I just bought, I named mine "Moon Pie" LOL
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote