Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 
Fenghuang

Impulse buys...

My mom drove me to Petsmart today to pick up some cat food for my big boy. Stopped by the betta display and ended up walking out of the store with two little boys.

They were being sold as "Half Moon Bettas." Neither one is actually a half moon.

So yeah.... Meet Grimm and Dantalian!

Grim was laying motionless in his cup of clouded water like he was waiting to die. Brought him home and floated his cup in a tub of hot water to warm up some. He's a lot more lively now.

Dantalian was the one that caught my attention first. He was the only betta on that entire rack that seemed to have any life in him. He kept flaring at everyone and everything and continued to do so all the way home. He's pretty small though. xD

Keeping them in some temporary 1 gallon containers for now and going to the store to get a proper setup as soon as possible. I thought I had a 5 gallon tank and some dividers on storage but it seems like my dad tossed it. /:

Last edited by Fenghuang; 12-31-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Nice finds. Good luck!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #3 
SolomonFinch

Great names! very lovely. Love the near lavender sparkle!
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #4 
SQUIRT1216

Grim is beautiful. hopefully you could set up a tank for him soon, they both look depress
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #5 
Fenghuang

Thank you so much. They had some truly lovely bettas. It was hard to leave with just two...

I'm going out first thing tomorrow and see if I can pick up 6+ gallon tank and a divider. That would be okay for the two of them until I have enough money for a larger tank right?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #6 
SQUIRT1216

Buy a 10 gallons tank starter kit. Trust me, i go to petsmart everyday and i dont think anything else is cheaper. But they might be closed on new year. Otherwise, i bought the starter kit LED for about $47 and has absolutely everything you need except for food. And if ther are on sale, it would even be cheaper. It came with heater, filter, net, lights, and a cheap thermometer (but it should work for now). Too bad you miss their Christmas sell which is the exact same thing for $30. Buy a few silk plants, no need for gravel now if you don't have the resource.

Please don't buy anything less than 5 gallons for both of them. Even a 5 gallons would be fine for a short run, but Petsmart 5 gallons cost $30 without a heater which could potentially cost up to $20 so might as well buy a 10 gallons right?

And for food, for now, the betta pellets might be sufficient. In the future, you should buy variety of food like frozen/freeze dried brine shrimp, bloodworm, daphnia etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Under 5 gallons is not a problem... Please don't say that in front of a very, VERY varied group of hobbyists.

Search around your area for deals. I always do! Not sure what you can find there, but second hand is not too bad if you know where to look.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #8 
Fenghuang

They are still having a sale where I am. But I'm going to try Walmart since they're generally cheaper and would probably stay open tomorrow. I have a 60 gallon grow out tank with two baby koi that are going in my pond. Would I have to cycle the tank if I use water and gravel from there?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Under 5 gallons is not a problem... Please don't say that in front of a very, VERY varied group of hobbyists.

Search around your area for deals. I always do! Not sure what you can find there, but second hand is not too bad if you know where to look.
Wait, so are you saying, under 5 gallons is ok or not ok ? People said 2.5 gallons is fine, but i think they should each live in a 5 gallon. But since he said it was an impulse buy so i suggested he buy a 10 gallons
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

The tank is cycled, correct? I swish the cartridge of the cycled tank in the other, sometimes borrowing the said cartridge to put into the filter of the new tank. Gravel, and decor also works well. Give it a day or two, test the water levels, and it should technically work.

I am saying here, there are respected breeders and owners who keep bettas under 5 gallons. I, am one of them. Each tank has their days of the week to be cleaned depending on size. It's a task and a half... I just did not like that you said they have to have 5+ gallons. Perhaps next time, say, "IMO I like them in 5 or more gallons, but, that's just me!"