Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #21 
rubinthebetta

I'd love to help, but I don't know how. All I can do is bump this thread so you'll be able to get some more help.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #22 
callistra

Needs to be under 9. If your'e testing 9 I would cut with RO 50/50 - EXACT mix each time is crucial. Very uncommon for ph to be this high though. You're likely fine.

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20ppm nitrate.

This is what I wrote before about your cycling:

Quote:
A lot if not most people will tell you that it is impossible to fully cycle a 2.5g tank. 5g is the minimum. However, you can always try. Any time you want to cycle without doing 100% weekly water changes, you would need a drops test kit to test for ammonia, nitrite daily. Cycling will take up to 2 weeks. During this time you must do a 50% water change any time you see as little as .25ppm ammonia or nitrite. First you will see spikes in ammonia, eventually that will stop and you will have nitrite spikes. Eventually you would have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some amount of nitrates that would be taken care of with a weekly water change of about 50% (along with gravel siphoning to remove poop) - this is with much larger tanks. With a 2.5g you may always need to do multiple water changes a week, but only tests would let you know for sure. The filter will help. Some bb will grow there, but it'w not going to be the same as a larger tank.
You will probably forever need 2 50% water changes a week - one with stir/dip method to get rid of poop or gravel vac: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Last edited by callistra; 01-02-2013 at 07:34 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote