Betta Fish Forum banner

No hood!

Tags
hood tank
2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Kwomais 
#1 ·
Im getting a 5 gallon tank to house my betta but it has no hood! Should i put less water or do i really need to find something to cover it?

#3 ·
#4 ·
I dont know how well saran wrap would hold up stretched over 5 heated gallons.....no sure it would even adhere to the aquarium sides. Even if it did work.....burning Saran Wrap , like Teflon, releases fumes. Not that yours would be burning, but it would be heating up...and I am pretty sure heated plastic, BPA free or not, isnt good for any living creature.
It may sound odd, but as a temp solution maybe you could take a broiler pan, one of the 2 parters that you bake on, and place the perforated plate over top of the tank. May not be pretty, but it would be secure and provide air.
Just a thought.

#6 ·
But you put saran wrap in the microwave so shouldn't it work? I never tried it myself. But i don't think a heater would crate that much heat for the saran to burn. As the other member said, leave some air so their would be no accumulated "fume"

#7 ·
I have a little bowl and I use the toe cut off of a pair of fishnet tights leftover from Halloween to cover it. Maybe you could cut a section of the thigh of a pair of large women's tights/fishnets & then cut a slit so that it is a rectangle and then just tape it/adhere it in place? then you get the safety of a lid, but still have free air circulation AND you can feed through it (well, if you use fishnets like I did you can).

#8 ·
Covers for a standard sized five gallon are pretty cheap and easy to find. Also, many members here use Saran Wrap to lock in moisture and humidity for sick fish to help the labyrinth organ and have never had an issue, but personally I wouldn't look at Saran Wrap as a permanent solution..

#11 ·
My 5.5 came without a hood...I ended up getting a piece of plexiglass cut at my local Ace Hardware to the exact size I needed...then with dads help cut a rectangle for the heater/filter to poke out and put another rectangle on a hinge (with a drawer handle) so I could feed him. THe light is from my moms old hex tank 10 gal (which I don't use anymore, to tall for my fish, I've found.) and reaches across the tank walls, so it's not directly on the plexiglass. I also haven't found my lights to give off heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.