Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #11 
BettaPirate

I love hearing rescue stories, I praying he makes it! I saw 4 at walmart that's tails were falling off, there were chunks of tail in the water and they wouldn't just give them to me for free.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #12 
Kuro

my Cain(along with some previous bettas) was a wal mart betta but he was lucky to be one of the last bettas my local walmart kept in tiny tanks that hung in the tanks of the other fish so he and the others had clean filtered water.

Aero came from my fave reptile/fish shop and was kept in a tiny cup but they changed his and all the other betta's water at least 3 times a week so their not sitting in nasty water like the bettas at walmart are doing now since they stoped using the little tanks that hung into the bigger tanks with the other fish.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #13 
SpeakNow13

I wish wal mart kept their bettas like that! Or a barracks system would be nice. His ich has just about cleared up, Now on to treating his fin rot. He still hasnt eaten anything which really worries me :( How do i get him to eat?
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #14 
Bluewind

First, check vision. Can he see? Bad conditions can affect sight. If that's a yes, there are threads out there for blind bettas. If vision is good, try different foods. My little man gulps up Omega One Betta Bufet Pellets, but your guy might be a flake man. Or you might just have to go with treat-ish stuff like freeze-dried bloodworms or fresh foods until you can get him on a proper diet. Getting him to eat is #1. Then you can worry about nutrition.

I almost forgot to ask, what kind of tank do you have him in? Filter? Heater and temp? Have you put in a carbon filter to get rid of all those Ick meds yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #15 
SpeakNow13

He is in a 2.5 mini bow right now (its my QT there's a nice empty 5 gallon waiting for him to get better) He has a filter and heater, his temp is currently at 79 degrees. I did a 50 percent water change this morning. How do you test their vision? He wouldnt go near frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, and pellets soaked in garlic.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #16 
Bluewind

See if he will follow your finger without any sound (tapping and such). Move decore around and see if he bumps into it. Stuff like that.

What kind of pellets have you tried? If he bites and spits it out, he might eat it the next day. Also, give crumbled flakes a try. It will give him lots of yummy smell to go after (even if it does yuck up the water :-/)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #17 
Laki

Wait, are his fins clamped? Or melted together? If he has advanced fin rot - to the point they are melted- don't worry. Ludendorff and I pulled through fin melt together when I got him.
Clean warm water should stop growth of the infection. aq salt should kick start recovery.

Also, congrats on the rescue! Bless you :) (I'm fortunate that no WalMarts in my side of the country sell live animals)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #18 
Bluewind

I didn't catch that. Yes. Is it finrot or clamping?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #19 
SpeakNow13

at first they looked like they were melted together at the very tips. Now they have all sort of "unmelted" except the anal fin, which now is just vanishing more every day. Here are the best pics he let me take. Hope it helps?
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #20 
SpeakNow13

I have been feeding him the omega 1 betta buffet pellets. I didnt have any betta flakes so I but some of my tropical flakes in there and he ate some of them! Still spit some out but I think he at least got something in his tummy which makes me feel sooo relieved!