Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Brown Spots on Betta

So my Betta Pigg has a lot of brown spots covering him. I have in his tank 3 Otos and a Mystery Snail, but these have been with him since the end of August. I never really knew about fish sites until recently and have been posting about this on a couple, but so far no one knows what they are. They aren't hurting him, he has never had any lack of swimming problems or appetite problems, his name is Pigg for a reason (though I feed him only 4-6 pellets a day, 2 or 3 in the morning, 2 or 3 before bed). The Otos don't bug him and he doesn't bug them. I'm starting to give him a weekly pea, starting today, would that help? I know it isn't just a miscolouring because he didn't have this when I purchased him... Anyone know of something that it could be, something that could help make it go away?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 
callistra

Feeding a pea would not help this, and I suggest not feeding a pea for almost any reason. Please fill this out so we make sure we're not missing anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Could you share photos of the progression of the spots, or at least what he looks like now?

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 04:31 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 81 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, but one is available
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 Otocinclus, one golden/yellow Mystery Snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Aqueon Beta Food and there are Algae Wafers for the others
How often do you feed your betta fish? Today is fasting day, but usually 2 or pellets in the morning, 2 or 3 pellets when the aquarium lights go out

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I try for weekly- I will be performing one tomorrow
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
I have ordered a new testing kit as my mother accidentally threw mine out. It will be here next week (small town)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has brown spots on his body and a slight loss of colour, some redness on his face though that's always been there
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all- he's perfectly the same
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Around August
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? His tail was ripped by the filter two times, but I have since made it so he can't get at the filter by placing a large plastic plant in front of it.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7-8 months

And my friend told me to maybe try some peas, I wasn't sure of her reasoning she just said that was good for them anyways. I have since gotten them out of the tank and I will be doing a water change and gravel cleaning tomorrow, but not the plants- I cleaned them just last week.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 
callistra

I see the brown spots and I think they're normal. The only thing I'm worried about are his fins. However I see a lot of brown/black/gray on the fins? I think you have a case of advanced fin rot on your hands, but if you could share some more photos, especially some good fin ones, that'd be be helpful so I make sure I'm right. Make sure there's no shadow casting and we can see actual colors you're seeing.

Peas are unnatural for bettas and they're really hard on their digestive tract. The only thing they're good for are in the cases of constipation and there are other better ways of handling it, imho.

Plastic plants are usually too hard for bettas and tend to rip fins. Some are ok, though usually silk plants are suggested for this reason. You can test your plants and any ornaments in his tank by taking a pair of panty hose and thoroughly dragging them around the plants. If they catch at all they shouldn't be used with a betta.

If you're finding the filter intake is grabbing him, I suggest a prefilter sponge like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fl...efilter+sponge

A weekly water change of at least 20% is necessary to maintain water quality with your tank. Snails are very messy though and they may require more.. either a second change or maybe a larger 50% change, however having a good drops kit to test water quality will let you know for sure. If you haven't been doing this I'd do a series of 20%+ water changes over the course of the next few days - maybe 3 - to get the water quality under control, especially since you can't test the water at this point. Fin rot also usually happens only along with water quality problems, unless he's a biter which I don't see any evidence of.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

These were taken literally five minutes ago... I never even considered fin rot... I feel so stupid!

I have tested all of the plants, they are all smooth and good for Bettas (according to the LFS owner, but I tested and decided for myself they were fine) and I am hoping in the new year to get some live plants, but it may be too much.

I was actually considering getting him a sponge a while back because of this, and I will now look into it better, but it may not be for a couple of weeks because I was in my LFS today and there weren't many things like that (my LFS is just a pet store and they pretty much suck).

I can't do a water change today as my mother won't let me (I can hardly let her get me to do weekly changes, no matter what I say she hates them with a passion), but tomorrow is already scheduled in with her.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 
callistra

Sorry about your mom :( Parents can be hard to train.

I guess do a really big water change tomorrow then.. You might want to point her to this thread as he definitely has some fin rot. Now some of it looks like blue? That should be normal, but you see all the fraying, shredded/thinning bits, especially at the tips? That's all rot. The gray belly may be his normal coloring or it could be a sign of stress.

It's not your fault if your mom isn't letting you take care of your boy but that's indicative of water quality issue.

Honestly, he needs to be removed from the tank water into something smaller you can keep warm. Either a separate smaller QT tank around 1-2 gallons with a heater, or by floating in the larger tank. To foat, something like a 2 gallon arcylic bowl filled half way works well. You'll need to do daily (or at least every other day) 100% water changes. Along with the water changes you will need to dose either aquarium salt, predissolved at 1 tsp per gallon, or get an antibiotic like Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2. His fins have no chance to heal without the clean water and he will need something, either salts or meds, to stop the rot before it can regrow. Also stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon can help with regrowing of fins. Once you see all regression stop and you see a little regrowth you'll know you're in the clear. It can take up to 2 weeks for this to happen.

With some clean water and time he should recover just fine, but somehow this does need to happen.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

Would it be possible to do that in just the main tank? My QT is in use by a friend for her new fish and I can't get it back. I have one of those little Betta tanks, but it's a larger one, about a gallon, I could put him in though heating it may be an issue along with the tank size... I literally cannot spend any more money on them right now, as I just got them a new heater. My old one raised the temperature 4 degrees in a 10g- would that be could enough for one of those little ones? I feel terrible about not being so accommodating for him, but this is all I have to work with. I could possibly borrow a 5g from a friend, but it may take a while. What should I do?!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #8 
Elsewhere

My other friend who's Betta died said I could use her 5g, her dad won't allow any more fish! What can I do in that one? I'm sorry for all of these complications and questions, I'm just really worried D:
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #9 
callistra

How did your friend disinfect the 5g? You don't want to infect him with something else..

If you're sure it's thoroughly disinfected then Do you have a heater you could use in it? If so, I'd fill it half full.. measure it in gallon water jugs or whatever so know how much is in there.. 2.5 gallons.. use a heater and thermometer. Get it stable, and add him - acclimate slowly like I wrote about during any water change. You can treat in there with the extra water changes and try to get the salt..
Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

She rinsed it and washed it with soap then rinsed again and let it sit in her sink for about a day. He died in October and was about three.

I do have a heater, it's not very good but it's a heater. I have no filter but I can use a bubble pump thing. Where can I purchase the salt from?

I was dreading telling my mother, and when I did she said "Well now you can get that cool looking Betta from the pet store", as I had mentioned an awesome half-moon I saw today -_- She really bothers me when it comes to my fish.