Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 
Angelafish

Light-colored spot on gill- a little nervous :P

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 70-72
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No (heater's in the mail... :P)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Standard TopFin pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Several times a day, but he hasn't eaten since I brought him home 6 days ago.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Amquel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 or slightly above (definitely less than .25)
pH: 7.2

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small whitish (light-colored) spot near left gill.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acts no different- pretty active and curious, flares readily.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.

Not sure if it's anything or not... but if it is I'd much rather be aware of it sooner rather than later! I'm sorry for the poor quality of the pic but I don't have ready access to a better camera. :P
Attached Images

Angelafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #2 
callistra

Well.. you know he's freezing.. but since heater is on the way we'll just skip that.. I'll only say make sure to give the heater a good test run to make sure it will hold temp, not dip or overheat. And afterwards acclimate really slowly by either increasing temp only a degree or two an hour and 5 degrees per day in the case of an adjustable one - or in the case of an nonadjustable one float your boy in a plastic cup for an hour.

I'm not sure.. it's blurry.. does it look fuzzy at all? Raised at all? Does it look like he's missing scales there? It's something.. just don't know what.

What are you using to test ammonia? Drops or strips/paper? Those strips are really inaccurate. I would also invest in something for nitrites and nitrates. Your tank may not be fully cycled.. In fact a lot of people would tell you not to even bother trying something under 5 gallons but at the very least you will probably always need to do extra water changes to maintain quality. 2 50% a week may be enough but tests will need to be run to be sure. When you do the changes do you make sure to get the poo out of his gravel, either by string it up and scooping out with a net or by using a wide-mouthed turkey baster to suck through the gravel?

He hasn't eaten in 6 days? You might try some other pellets.. I like New Life Spectrum Betta personally. You can feed 5-8 split up into 2 or 3 smaller meals and one fast day a week. I find them at my local Petco so they should be pretty easy to find. I have also fed Omega One Betta Buffet with ok results.. 3-4 a day split up
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 
Angelafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Well.. you know he's freezing.. but since heater is on the way we'll just skip that.. I'll only say make sure to give the heater a good test run to make sure it will hold temp, not dip or overheat. And afterwards acclimate really slowly by either increasing temp only a degree or two an hour and 5 degrees per day in the case of an adjustable one - or in the case of an nonadjustable one float your boy in a plastic cup for an hour.
Yeahhhh... I can't tell you how frustrated I am with all the misinformation on betta care out there. Wish I had come here first- I would have brought him home with a heater!

Quote:
I'm not sure.. it's blurry.. does it look fuzzy at all? Raised at all? Does it look like he's missing scales there? It's something.. just don't know what.
Sorry about the pic... my phone camera stinks, I know! Well, it doesn't seem fuzzy or raised at all... yet. I just noticed it this morning and I've been (and will be) watching it to see if it changes at all. As far as I can tell, so far it's just a spot... And he isn't really acting any differently than he was yesterday.

Quote:
What are you using to test ammonia? Drops or strips/paper?
They're actually tablets that you dissolve in a small test tube of tank water.

Quote:
2 50% a week may be enough but tests will need to be run to be sure. When you do the changes do you make sure to get the poo out of his gravel, either by string it up and scooping out with a net or by using a wide-mouthed turkey baster to suck through the gravel?
Well, I set up the tank last Wednesday, and did a water change on Saturday after an ammonia test showed .25. I tested the ammonia today and it was negligible, so I'm thinking another change this Wed. should do the trick? I have the turkey baster, too- works great.

Quote:
He hasn't eaten in 6 days? You might try some other pellets.
Well, I'm waiting on some of the Hikari bio-gold pellets (coming with the heater... :P). He has eaten a couple bloodworms, but the pellets I have he won't touch, whether I break it up, soak it in garlic juice, whatever. I'm going to see what else I can find at the pet store while I'm waiting for the hikari.
Thanks for your input! I (and my buddy) really appreciate it! :)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 
callistra

I have no idea about those fizz things.. no experience to share with you. We'll just assume they're accurate I suppose. So since this is a new tank it's definitely not cycled yet. You've got weeks ahead of you. Definitely get a testing kit for nitrites and nitrates too and just keep testing daily and making changes as you see ammonia and/or nitrites. Don't assume you can go a few days based on what you've seen in the past because ammonia will suddenly and almost unpredictably spike at some point, as will nitrites. Tanks that are new like this are pretty unpredictable, which is why ou want to test daily. Now once your tank is cycled the 2x 50% with one being turkey baster siphoned will probably be ok and you will be able to rely on a pattern.

Hikari used to make a really good pellet but a few years ago they changed their formula. Now the number one ingredient in their product is wheat. They are the worst expanders I've seen and tend to cause constipation issues in a lot of fish for that reason. You want a pellet whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish of some kind. Not fish meal (which is fish byproducts ground up) or especially wheat.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #5 
Angelafish

Hmm well I had been operating under the impression that such a small tank was next to impossible to cycle, but I guess not after all.
I've heard Omega One makes a pretty good betta pellet too, as well as NLS. I'll probably look out for one (or both) of those.

An update on the spot, though--- it is now accompanied by a small white tuft on the tip of the dorsal fin. I would put a pic of that but it would be next to impossible to see with that camera. :P All I can say is it's white and fuzzy.

Yeah. Starting to get kinda depressed here. Is there anything I can do?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #6 
callistra

Okay yeah time to treat. Abandon cycle.. You can try again once he's well.

Look hard for some Seachem Kanaplex... Use yellowpages.com and call everything that comes up under 'aquarium' and 'pet'. If you can't find it within driving distance try Maracyn Plus. Try hard.. those are your best bets for a one time shop treatment. If you can't find those look for Furan 2 which is an API med so you should be able to find it.

Go ahead and do 100% water change.. rinse everything off really well. Dilute the meds down to a 2.5 gallon size. One level scoop of kanaplex treats 5 gallons so you take 5 teaspoons of tank water, put the kanaplex in and dissolve it really well. Then take 2.5 tsp out and put it in the tank. I Can't remember Maracyn Plus dosage off the top of my head.. Furan 2 treats 10 gallons so you need to mix up 10 parts of something and take 2.5 parts out.

Dose every other day full dose along with 100% water change for 2 weeks.

This is how you do large water changes without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Last edited by callistra; 01-01-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #7 
Angelafish

Thanks so much for your input. I really really hope he can hold on a little longer because I have to find meds and go to work tomorrow, so I won't even be able to treat until tomorrow afternoon. :( I really hope he'll be ok... :( It's amazing and scary how fast this has sprung up.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #8 
callistra

I'm guessing it's some form of fungus or columnaris.. I'm guessing the later unfortunately. It could be slow moving or fast moving. . What we do know if you caught it very very early so just get meds as fast as you can. For now, keep the water clean.

Do you have anything on hand at all.. even aquarium salt?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #9 
Angelafish

Well, I've just gone through all my dad's stuff for his tropical aquarium, and I haven't come across any aquarium salt... >:( I have found several medications - Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Furan 2, and TriSulfa... Problem is they're old and probably expired... But aquarium salt at least I know where I can get first thing tomorrow. I don't know about those other meds you mentioned though.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #10 
callistra

Don't worry about getting AQ. I was just going to suggest you start treating with what you have.. CAn you check the expiration date on Furan 2? That has a decent shot. Box should have a date.. how long have you had it? They last several years.