Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #31 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Rotting foods my big worry. Also Shrimp are very sensative to Ammonia.
So are you saying I should get snails instead? I do have time do to the regular water changes, and I'll try to feed as sparingly as possible (small amounts so there's not much food left over). Or snails with the shrimp? As you can tell, I have plenty of time to rethink this setup.
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think you can handle the shrimp.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #33 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I think you can handle the shrimp.
So I went to Petsmart today "just to look" for things for my setup. Well, sadly I only looked, for once. But I found a half gallon glass bowl, and a plastic bowl that is apparently "one gallon" but looks about the same size as the half gallon. I might get the "one gallon" though, because its plastic and therefore lighter and harder to break. That, and they have a bunch of those in stock and only one glass bowl, so there's a chance they may not have any glass bowls by the time I actually BUY stuff for the setup.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #34 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i have some apothecary jars. i was thinking of growing small plants in them. don't know what i'd do for circulation.they might have something funkier than a plain fish bowl at a hobby store. i saw some cool glass cookie jars, and big square glass vases and a 5 gallon hand blown glass fish bowl. target or walmart usually carries this type of stuff too. probably cheaper.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #35 
sandybottom
Reference Team

walmart, glass cookie jar with lid $10. 2 gallon capacity. i think i may try one of these myself. somehow, you inspired me. thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #36 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
walmart, glass cookie jar with lid $10. 2 gallon capacity. i think i may try one of these myself. somehow, you inspired me. thanks.
Im glad I inspired you LOL. I actually just remembered that at the Petsmart, they also have these really cool looking "betta tanks" (only thing is theyre just slightly over a half gallon, so theyre not exactly betta tanks) that are different shapes like cylinders, cubes, and this weird one thats kinda like a fishbowl but curves all weird at the top (IDK how to describe it exactly), and theyre pretty affordable. I might get one of those, because they look cool and its not inhumane to put simply a shrimp and a marimo in there.

I guess the only reason Im staying within pet stores is because most of the jars I find at hobby stores and such have distracting engravings and imprints like they have on mason jars, which is also why Im not just using one of the quart mason jars at my house.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #37 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the ones i looked at were plain glass, look by the floral section. i am going to do the cookie jar. i'm gonna make a bamboo fountain as a hood and for filtration. this should take me a while. when i get it done i will post it. i gotta set up my 40 gallon before i get into this. now to figure out a light source. dreaming it up is the fun part. i know the glass you are talking about. many hobby stores carry the same ones. rounded and cut at a slant or big square vases. i saw these at the hobby shop, before i saw them at lfs. same company selling 1 product for 2 different applications in 2 different places.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #38 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
the ones i looked at were plain glass, look by the floral section. i am going to do the cookie jar. i'm gonna make a bamboo fountain as a hood and for filtration. this should take me a while. when i get it done i will post it. i gotta set up my 40 gallon before i get into this. now to figure out a light source. dreaming it up is the fun part. i know the glass you are talking about. many hobby stores carry the same ones. rounded and cut at a slant or big square vases. i saw these at the hobby shop, before i saw them at lfs. same company selling 1 product for 2 different applications in 2 different places.
I think I'll still get the glass designer "betta tank" from Petsmart, just because Petsmart is really close by and theyre on sale for about $10 right now. That, and I can get my marimo (Im debating whether I should get the shrimp right away or wait awhile) at the same time. For a light source, for me this setup will probably be in my kitchen, so I could put it near the window and it will receive indirect sunlight, as well as any other light from the house. At night, it would probably be fine in the dark, but if not there's a small flourescent light in the kitchen I could maybe use. Marimo, Im assuming, isnt demanding and probably doesnt need a big flourescent light and direct sunlight to keep it alive LOL.

Btw your post reminded me of something, awhile back, I started a snail tank (mystery snails with java moss) and I was SO lucky that my grandma had a big plastic jar of Ring Pops that she emptied and let me take home for the snail tank. Turned out it was about 2 gallons, and had no imprints on it! Sadly, I had to throw the jar away a few weeks later. The snails died, and as I've said, I dont have the best luck with snails.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can grow semi aquatic plants from the lid.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #40 
CrazyFishDude

This just dawned on me: What should I use to cover the tank? I've heard that glass shrimp can and will crawl out of the tank if its open, which is the last thing I want lol. I guess I could just use paper but that would look tacky? Anything that looks somewhat nice that would cover a glass bowl? If not, I can just use Seran wrap with holes poked in it or something.