Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 
stephanier

tailbiting?

So, I have come to the conclusion that my fish is tailbiting. One day, a large portion of his tail was just gone and there is no sign of fin rot. I thought he may have been stressed from having his light on too much and seeing his reflection, so I started leaving his light off, which worked; his tail started growing back. I was recently gone for a week and I came back to find his tail bitten again :-/. Is there anything else I should be doing to stop him from tailbiting? I am keeping a close eye on his tail and making sure there are no signs of fin rot and I add aq. salt with each water change. This is my first experience with tailbiting, so I'm wondering how others have dealt with the issue.
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some stress is affecting him. Sometimes the tail too long get them too bite it off.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Some of them are just chronic tail biters... Usually because their fins are heavy and a nuisance to them. Most people try switching things up. Like you did, keep the lights off. Move around the decorations. Add more decorations. Turn off the filter if you have one? Let him see another Betta nearby. Don't let him see another Betta nearby... Etc, etc...
What size is the tank? Number of decorations? Temp? Number of water changes? He's likely either bored or stressed. Does he ever have stress stripes or a grey colored belly?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 
stephanier

It's a 2.5 gallon tank with 2 silk plants and a spongebob pineapple decoration that he swims in and out of. I'm thinking of moving the decorations around in case he is bored. I haven't seen any stress stripes but I'll keep an eye out for them.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 
stephanier

Also, I forgot to say that it's 78 degrees and I do a 50-75% water change every week.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Good temp. He may benefit from another plant. Do either of your plants reach the water surface? Do you have a filter?
With no filter you should be doing at least 1 50% change and 1 100% change a week.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #7 
stephanier

Yes, I do have a filter. Neither of my plants reach the water surface so I'm thinking maybe I will get him a new, bigger plant.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

And make sure the filter isn't stressing him out.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #9 
stephanier

So, aloha's tail was healing nicely and then I got I got him a new plant and in under 12 hours he has bitten it again :-/...should I take the new plant out or give him some time to adjust?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

With tail biters, its good to try a large variety of things. Basically, try something new/different. If it doesn't help, remove it and try something else. He could also be bored or maybe his tail is just heavy for him, in which case nothing will really help. Tail biting isn't deadly but it is stressful to the owner and can often take a lot of time to figure out the exact cause.

Another thing to do (I recommend this be the very first thing you do as soon as you notice strange behavior) is to check the water parameters or do a big water change, even in a cycled tank.