Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 
SQUIRT1216

Can male wild bettas kept together?

So I am interested in keeping wild bettas. I found their natural beauty is blunt and captivating that cannot be found the splenden bettas. So I am currently doing research about them before buying them since they are kinda different than splenden types.

My questions are:
1) Can males live together? I found that male and female can coexist, but can males tolerate each other?
2) Can different types of wild live together? If yes, how many in a 10 gallons?
3) Can females live in a splenden sorority?

I love bettas and wouldn't mind buying a separate tank for each of them, but it would be great if someone has experience show me the way? Too bad that splenden bettas cannot live together, how epic a tank would be if they could.

Thanks. And happy new year

Last edited by SQUIRT1216; 12-31-2012 at 08:18 PM.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #2 
Grv97

you should DEFINATLY not keep two wild male bettas in a tank!!!! theyll kill each other in like 5 minutes!! and alot of times a male and female will fight as well unless theyre both ready to mate.
Grv97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
SQUIRT1216

So I guess I can just treat them like Splendens?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

While I do not know of the wild kind, I do know OFL keeps the domesticated kinds together but she has been breeding out aggression.
I would contact OldFishLady with questions about keeping (wild) males together. (:

But to err on the side of caution: I wouldn't keep males together.
And for the females, I would assume wild females could be housed together just as domesticated ones can. I'm not sure though. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Wild betta males will usually not kill each other. They will spar and display and you may need to separate them, but generally fights are pretty restrained and the worst you get is a torn fin or two.

The title 'wild betta' covers dozens of species. Some are highly aggressive, some are not, so there's really no one answer.

I keep and breed wild bettas and have owned over 12 or so species of various complexes so I do speak from experience here.

To better answer your questions, what wild species in particular were you interested in? Sounds like you are looking more at the splendens complex of bettas?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Wild betta males will usually not kill each other. They will spar and display and you may need to separate them, but generally fights are pretty restrained and the worst you get is a torn fin or two.

The title 'wild betta' covers dozens of species. Some are highly aggressive, some are not, so there's really no one answer.

I keep and breed wild bettas and have owned over 12 or so species of various complexes so I do speak from experience here.

To better answer your questions, what wild species in particular were you interested in? Sounds like you are looking more at the splendens complex of bettas?
Right now I am interested in the imbellis. I am not sure about the other types yet since I found they are hard to find. LFS and LPS definitely do not carry them so my only source is aquabid or maybe members from this forum who breed them and willing to ship them. Since they require shipping so it is expensive and I don't want to mess up and they die. Money is one thing which could be replace, but i dont want any betta to die because I didn't do enough research on them before getting
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #7 
bettasareawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
While I do not know of the wild kind, I do know OFL keeps the domesticated kinds together but she has been breeding out aggression.
I would contact OldFishLady with questions about keeping (wild) males together. (:
Oh yeah, I Pm'd OldFishLady about that and it was so cool! She has been able to keep males together in the same tank successfully, and been able to take one out and put him back in without problems!
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #8 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grv97 View Post
you should DEFINATLY not keep two wild male bettas in a tank!!!! theyll kill each other in like 5 minutes!! and alot of times a male and female will fight as well unless theyre both ready to mate.
Lol. Where did you gt this idea?? Also. I'd go with LTB's advice. She's the master of wild Bettas!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

If you are going to keep any type of bettas together, make sure to have that tank crammed with plants... Live, silk, fabric, etc. That way they do not see each other all the time.

and I agree the "5 minutes" thing is not true I have also had males who never hurt the female, and get the eggs with no problem. I also have had females who submit fast. Or not. Cannot make a general rule about something that is so diverse ^_^
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I would PM Setsuna. He keeps imbellis and would know more about their day-to-day care than me.

However, I will say that I did house two imbellis (captive bred) females in with my sorority for a couple of months and they were fine. Since they are pretty closely related to domesticated splendens they were able to slot into sorority life fairly easily.

Sena, I keep small groups of wild bettas together and they are fine with just a couple of inches of leaf litter and nothing else. Just really depends on the species and individuals.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote