Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #11 
Viva

Babies need to be fed a lot more and they need more protein than an adult betta...this is why live or frozen foods are needed. I feed crushed NLS pellets, about 4, twice per day and I feed frozen bloodworms twice per day, a chunk about half the size of a pea each serving. Bloodworms are about 55% protein whereas the NLS pellets say 37% protein. The pellets have vitamins and other things that the bloodworms do not, however, so make sure to feed both.

I do a 40% water change in my 5 gallon aquarium every day for my baby because they do secrete a hormone that stunts growth. Its not just the nitrate levels you're doing water changes for when you have a youngster.

Other than that provide a lot of cover with plants and decor so the baby feels safe.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #12 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Technically she's not a baby she's just the size of one.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Just so you know, 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches isnt THAT small for a female...That's about average or maybe a tiny bit below but she isn't terribly stunted or anything...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

These are small and nutritious :)
http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/gol...0-microns.html
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #15 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Really, I'll post a picture in the morning of her next to a quarter or something for a scale comparisen, also those do look like a good food source but I probably won't be able to buy them becuase they'r online.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #16 
bettasareawesome

Also when i saw females at petco they were double or triple Sushi's size and at huge fins compared to Sushi's right now.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Well maybe I'm wrong idk, but that food I posted would probably help...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #18 
bettasareawesome

Yeah, that probably would help... I'll try to get some sometime, but I'm usually can't get stuff online.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #19 
Myates

Have to agree... between not the right food, and not enough water changes to avoid the stunting hormone, that could cause her to be a bit smaller.

And sometimes some are late bloomers as well and won't get a growth spurt until something such as 9 months of age.

Feed her the higher quality food of NLS, Omega One, Attison's and she will be fine.. just a slow grower.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #20 
SolomonFinch

Well, be sure not to overfeed her, which can lead to a host of instabilities.
I agree 100% with everyone's suggestions, based on my limited betta and more extensive goldfish/oranda/shubunkin experience.
Betta Treat, Freezedried Bloodworms are something all my bettas seem to enjoy. Make sure ALL betta food is at least 40 percent protein, and treats should count as even more. I think Omega One BettaTreat Freezedried Bloodworms is 55%. Totally should be available at any Pet store.
But the best advice is CLEAN FRESH HEALTHY water constantly. Best growth stimulator EVER. That goes for ANY fish.
Aside from me just repeating everyone else....does it not seem weird that this fish has lived yet not grown? Maybe it is a mutation? I would just think that after 4 months and conditions weren't that great, it would have died by now?
Only reason I suggest this is because when I first started with my Orandas, I made a HUGE mistake that tragically taught me every lesson I needed to learn about water quality. In one fell swoop.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote