Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #1 
hannah16

5 G & 10 G tanks

I've been looking online at some of the users tanks and I've seen 10 gallons divided 3-4 times.

Normally a 5 gallon can be divided in half, what about three times?

I'm getting ready to purchase a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon and a few dividers, I want to know what my limits are.

Also, if the 5 or 10 gallon has no filter, how often should a water change be done? Just curious, please let me know. Thanks all.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Usually most of the 5 gallon tanks I have seen the betta is not going to have much horizontal swimming space even if each section is just under 2 gallons in size.

Even my 4.5 gallon that is unusually shaped (long and very shallow) wouldn't provide much swimming space.

I personally would not divide a 5 gallon tank any less than once.

Also although people will tell you to do x amount of water changes x amount times a week, really the only way to be certain of your parameters and the need for water changes (especially in an uncycled tank) is to purchase a test kit and test for ammonia levels in the water.

If you fall into the trap of doing only the suggested number of water changes a week and don't take into consideration things such as your stocking levels, you run the risk of having ammonia accumulate and harming your bettas.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #3 
hannah16

Oh I see. I already have filters but I was trying to see if I should use them or not. I could get the test kits but I think it be better if I simply set it up with a filter and go from there.

So, divide a 5 gallon once. I figured that be the answer because a 5 gallon isn't THAT large to be divided multiple times.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Unless your filters are running in another stocked tank and have been for a month or so, if you add them you are still going to have to have a water test kit on hand because your tank is going to start cycling.

Also in a cycling tank you are going to get nitrite forming, which you won't get in an uncycled tank.

If you are simply bringing filters over from another established tank though, you shouldn't need to worry.

I always recommend people have at least an ammonia test kit on hand. Frequently, the members I see posting in the disease section of this board never seem to have readings for what is quite a common cause of death and illness in betta fish.

I think if you are housing multiple bettas in an uncycled or cycling tank, it just gives you at least some peace of mind that things are okay.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Basically the more fish you stock, the more frequent you need to do the water changes, as those test kits will tell you as well. It's generally i gallon per inch of fish, so while in theory you could fit two betta to a 5g (as well as accounting for water displacement by substrate and decor) they would have far less room to move around in.

I personally wouldn't divide a 5g (rather fill it with plants and caves and maybe a snail as a tankmate for one betta). My 10g's divided (one betta didn't like so much space, it was wierd) with one betta to each side each with his own snail.

It's rough because bettas need to be separated (thus needing so much room for tanks), but space to move and clean water are the biggest issues for a happy fish. The less betta you stock, the lower your chances of severe ammonia levels you could miss in only a 24 hour period.

Also, also, depending on your pH (7+) ammonia becomes a lot mroe toxic to your fish, so that's another factor to keep in mind. If you have high pH levels, you definitely dont want to risk overstocking. Mine's 7.5-8.0, so as much as I'd love to fill my tanks....lol, definitely playing it safe.

Sorry if you knew some or all of this or if it's just being repeated, lol.

Also, filters are important for larger tank systems, so I'd advise them, but try to find ones that don't have too strong a current (can harm/stress the betta) or can easilly be muffled.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote