Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #11 
sainthogan

My first one years ago (when I was a young teenager) was in a 1 gallon tank with a filter flow so strong, all he could do was sit in the corner behind the filter and sulk. Poor thing.

I started my 2nd one out in a half gallon tank not knowing much better, but fully intending to upgrade eventually. But she got sick and I upgraded much sooner to her 5 gallon tank, where she currently commands her territory quite well. My 3rd started out in a 3 gallon, but his 5 gallon is on the way, but it will be another few weeks when all the parts get here before he moves into it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #12 
Bluewind

Am I the only one that said YIKES! when I saw the one with the LIT candles! Fire + Melted Wax + LIVE Fish in Finite Space = BAD IDEA!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Those Candles are specialy built.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #14 
Angelafish

Well, all I can say is that it is so extremely easy to be misled by all the conflicting information out there. For example, I'm really an animal person, and I care a great deal about taking good care of my pets. Now, when I decided to become a betta owner, I was perfectly prepared to just go to the pet store and get a bowl, a fish, and some food. Researching a little more, the only concrete info I found was that they definitely need more space than that! Everything else was conflicting- do they need a heater? a filter? 10g or 2.5g? Tank mates?

Straight up confusing. I imagine there are a whole lot of well-meaning people who believe their fish are perfectly ok swimming around in a quart of water. I almost was. I even feel horrible now that I didn't get a heater right from the start!
So why the heck is it that you can hardly find a straight answer about betta care online! (p.s. this site has been an amazing education)
Angelafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #15 
SolomonFinch

The candle one pissed me off. Yes, I know they are designed to float, but scented candles aren't even OK for adults or kids in the compared dose that poor fish is getting , most are imported and the FDA doesnt check them...its an unregulated industry. Fish emit ammonia, lets put it in a small limited oxygenated space and add flame....
Wow o wow are people cruel.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #16 
SolomonFinch

Angelafish-WELL SAID!
I feel the exact same. I read so much conflicting stuff my head hurts. I can spend hours researching after everyone here at home is fast asleep, and only have more questions.
I have found this to be the best site, when one is lucky enough to not encounter other members whose main goal is to make you feel stupid.
Mostly though, everyone here is very nice and knowledgable
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #17 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Point her to this forum. My experience with most adults is that they're just ignorant and once they get it they feel bad and really want to do well with them. My experience with kids is they always feel bad and want to do right.. Adults need their egos broken every now and again.
I couldn't if I tried. When she found out Pigg was sick, it just fueled her idea that Mr. Blue was perfect in his little space -_- I'll give it a shot, but I don't have much faith that she'll listen.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What does he have?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #19 
CrazyFishDude

One of my friends has this REALLY NICE blue VT betta... In a cup. *facepalm

But hey, that's not as bad as one of my other friends having two red eye tetras in a SMALLER cup, is it?
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #20 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
What does he have?
Fin rot. Treatment starts tomorrow, he's already in a QT away from my 10g.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote