Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Here it is:
Fish and Bettas in general have natural protection with their slime coat. For a fish to get ammonia burns they need to be exposed to high levels long term. Ammonia levels greater than 1ppm for weeks. Then you have chemistry changes that naturally occur. This is why the Bettas sitting on a shelf in a pet store can last a fairly long time without water changes and/or it gets sick within 24h of you getting it and placing it in nice clean water.

The longer the water sits along with organics-like the fish food, poop, general byproducts produced...etc.....The decomp of the byproducts naturally create CO2 and the CO2 drives the pH down-all a natural process. Once the pH is 6 an lower-the ammonia converts to ammonium that is not harmful. Once higher pH water is added during the acclimation process or a top off-this can cause the ammonium to convert back to ammonia-Usually the ammonia can be as high as 5-6ppm in those cups. To avoid this-add a drop of Prime or other ammonia neutralizer additive.

-Written by Oldfishlady :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #12 
callistra

The ammonia can cause huge ph shifts that a lot of acclimation techniques won't account for... and yeah.. condition with Prime.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
The ammonia can cause huge ph shifts that a lot of acclimation techniques won't account for... and yeah.. condition with Prime.
Yup yup. Adding prime to the cup and tank before acclimation can help :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #14 
Xaltd1

I did exactly that! Slow as possible water exchange over 24 hours!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #15 
callistra

Well, maybe she was just too sick. :(
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

All of my bettas ( and I have had over 40 in the past few years) have been "rescues" or sympathy ppurchases - whatever you want to call them. I always test the ammonia in their cups and about 90% of the time, the ammonia is at or above a 5.0. A few have been at about an 8 and one guy, his test turned the water bluw which isn't even on the API ammonia chart. Amazingly enough he survived and recovered pretty well (dude in my signature).

Quote:
Usually the ammonia can be as high as 5-6ppm in those cups.
Or higher. They are pretty hardy but they are not invincible.

Instead of prime, I use Amquel Plus. Every time I use prime I end up with a huge headache.

I'm guessing if you did acclimate very slowly, he may of been very sick but you just couldn;t see it. Maybe an internal infection or just one too many days in poor water.

It always is sad when they finally find a good home, only to be so sick that they die shortly after :(

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-01-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #17 
Xaltd1

I just lost the 2nd fish- she was doing so well.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #18 
Butterfly

So sorry for your losses :( <3 sip.

My assumption has always been ammonia poisoning or another sickness due to stress.

Didn't acclimate fred at all when i brought him home oops I just scooped him out of the cup (btw the pet store guy had the nerve to ask me if I was going to keep him in there forever... -_-') and plopped him into the .5 gal. Right after, I ordered him a 5gal so he's fine. He actually did fine in the .5 gal with daily changes. He just prefers the 5gal because there's plants and hiding spaces and so much to explore! :D He was healthy for weeks. But then he got some parasites and got all sad and clamped(wtih mild pineconing I'm PRETTY sure of :/) and I treated him and he was fine again :) I think it's just the stress and whatnot thatcan make them sick.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #19 
carbonxxkidd

So sorry to hear about your other girl!

I will say that I too am guilty of poor acclimating...but it's always worked out for me. The girl that I bought yesterday definitely had SBD and was terrified when I floated her in my sorority tank. As soon as I took her out, she was fine. I deemed her not fit for sorority life, even though she was beautiful, and returned her and bought a different girl, who seems a lot more cocky and healthy. I will say that in the female department, 8/9 of my current girls are from Petco! Petsmart's girls always seem to be sickly looking (clamped, severe fin rot, floating, etc), at least around here. :(
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #20 
callistra

Sorry you lost another :(

Is this in a sorority then? They may be attacking the new ones.. I think it was mentioned before, you need to put all fish in at once and if you add new you need to cup, change up the tank, and readd together.

Just out of curiosity what's the ph of your tap water? (I'm assuming you're using tap water) Do you also happen to know gh?