Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 
Hopelessaddict101

Girl ripped off Dorsal fin?!

I went to check on my new girl in her new tank just before and I have found that she has ripped off most of her Dorsal fin from the body :'( It looks extremely painful as now there is a big open sore right along her back.

She has never been a tail biter or anything, and there isn't anything in the tank that she may have hurt herself on so I know she has ripped it off. She also is the only one in the tank. :s

So, my question is - how do I help her?! She is laying on the bottom of the tank so I'm guessing she is in EXTREME pain and regretting doing what she did. I don't have problems with biters etc so I do NOT have stress zyme etc for fin growth.
I do, however, have: Epsom salt, aq. salt, malachite green and wunder tonic.

What can I do to help? Or should I euthanize her? :/ I don't know as I've never had this and it looks pretty bad...

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 20gal
What temperature is your tank? 28C
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, inbuilt. It was not running.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? with filter.
Is your tank heated? yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? herself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Is this relevant? Dried shrimp, microworms, pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish?Once, nightly, 6 days a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% monthly, 50% every two weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? as addressed above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Is this relevant?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Half dorsal fin missing..
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? on the floor of tank gasping, fins clamped
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today she would have done it.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, not at all.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
1 year or so
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

You can sort of see the wound..

The stump on top is all that is left. It covered her whole back..

Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #3 
callistra

HOB filters can do this.. she might have had a battle with the filter you didn't see.. that's why I always suggest adding a prefilter sponge whenever running one.

Quarantine her.. something around 1-2 gallons you can keep warm. Daily 100% water changes. Dose with epsom salt 1/2-1 tsp per gallon, predissolved and added very slowly over an hour as this will cause a ph drop.. how much depends on how soft your water is. Once she's used to it you're good to go and can just dose it regular along with the water change. Also stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon might help. Just keep up salts and water changes and hope for the best.. Right now it's just really important to keep that wound clean and have it not become infected.

ETA: the filter wasn't running? Are you sure it was ripped off somehow and it's not a fast rot? If it's rotting you need antibiotics pronto.. Suggest Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus. That is not biting.

Last edited by callistra; 01-01-2013 at 12:56 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
HOB filters can do this.. she might have had a battle with the filter you didn't see.. that's why I always suggest adding a prefilter sponge whenever running one.

Quarantine her.. something around 1-2 gallons you can keep warm. Daily 100% water changes. Dose with epsom salt 1/2-1 tsp per gallon, predissolved and added very slowly over an hour as this will cause a ph drop.. how much depends on how soft your water is. Once she's used to it you're good to go and can just dose it regular along with the water change. Also stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon might help. Just keep up salts and water changes and hope for the best.. Right now it's just really important to keep that wound clean and have it not become infected.

ETA: the filter wasn't running? Are you sure it was ripped off somehow and it's not a fast rot? If it's rotting you need antibiotics pronto.. Suggest Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus. That is not biting.
No, the filter wasn't running. I do not keep it running 24/7 as her tank is in my room and is quite noisy.

And I do not think it was fast rot, as she was fine when I left her this morning, perfect fins etc, and I come back three hours later to her being like this. Also looking close to the wound there is strands of her skin sticking out etc. It's all very sad to look at and is quite frankly making me feel sick.

I do not know why she has done this, either. She was fine last night and this morning.

Thank you, so epsom salt and QT? I do not have stress zyme :( But I will try the EP salt until I can get a hold of some.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #5 
Hopelessaddict101

There is no way she could have ripped it - the tank is basically empty. Just stones, heater and a little wooden sword (that is extremely blunt).. :(
Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6 
callistra

She didn't do it. I can't stress that enough. Either something in the tank did it or you are dealing with a very fast moving bacteria. Only you have the tank in front of you and know if it's possible something in the tank could have done it.. if it didn't then you better move fast with the antibiotics. Kanaplex.

In the meantime QT, clean water and epsoms.

Also just so you know if you're turning your filter off at night it is going to effect your cycle.. You really can't do that sorry to say. I would get your water tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (actual levels using a good drops kit) and see where they stand at this point.

Last edited by callistra; 01-01-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #7 
Hopelessaddict101

How fast? Can it take off most of a fin within 2-3 hours? I'm sorry that I think/though she has, it's just - I've never had this before! And I've had fish for around 5 years. It's completely new to me :/

And what's confusing me mostly is I have no idea how anything in my tank could have done it. The only things in my tank are: The unrunning filter, the heater, rocks, a live plant and a little decoration.

:(

Thank you.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #8 
callistra

Yep. It can happen. It's rare.. but it can happen.

I'm sorry this happened :( Do you see any graying of fins along with the rot?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #9 
Hopelessaddict101

Do you have any idea where I could read about that?

And thank you, I am so sad right now as it seems unfair. :(

And I do not think so, but it is hard to tell as she is extremely clamped right now. But I have noticed she has got more red on her gills, but I am not sure if that is just her color as she has red. But I have noticed she has lost her body color but it is darker in some places, like stripes. Like breeding stripes, almost, though not as distinct (Vertical not horizontal).
Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #10 
callistra

Red on gills can be ammonia/nitrite poising. Loss of color could be that or definitely the ripped fins.

I would just do a google search for fast fin/body rot. I've read a lot but I can't pinpoint off the top of my head.