Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #11 
Hopelessaddict101

All of my ammonia/nitrite levels are good...
Sorry I would write them but I lost the card I wrote it on :/
But it didn't give me any reason to be worried...

And thank you for your help :) This is very distressing :(
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #12 
callistra

Anything over 0 is a problem, and means your cycle has broken down.. which doesn't surprise me with the turning off of the filter all night. During fish in cycling water changes should be made at so little as .25ppm. Was it more than that? So little won't hurt short term in a healthy fish, but over time can cause issue or if the fish is weak for other reasons.

I'd still qt and do all the things back somewhere on page one... sorry it's late

Hope she pulls though.. let us know.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #13 
Hopelessaddict101

Thank you, I will let you know.

I have had to move her into a float container as she can't swim to the top and she will drown if I don't.

I am still trying to find out about this bacteria but I can not find anything - but I will keep looking.

Also, with the water levels, if for some random reason it fluctuated within the three or so hours I didn't see her, could it really be so vicious within that time span? Also, she was moved at 2am this morning, so she has only been in the tank for 8 hours before I saw her, which at that time she was fine.

:(
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi Hopelessaddict. In your info, it says the filter is built in to the tank and it is a 20 gal? Am I reading that correctly? 20 gal, not 20 liters? Do you have a Marineland Eclipse tank?

Although the filter wasn't running, it is still possible that she got caught somehow under the filter outtake or under decor. If the disappearance of her dorsal fin was very sudden, like overnight, and it disappeared all at once (not gradually as if it was being eaten off by something) I think she must have somehow ripped it off. No bacteria moves that fast as to completely destroy fins without other signs such as graying tissue or abnormal behavior. Further, if there was a bacteria that aggressive, it would not have been just her dorsal fin Her entire body would have been targeted.

If you have an Eclipse hood on your tank, I could understand how she might get caught even if the filter wasn't running. I've seen them and the way the hood is designed so if she decided to jump at something, as female bettas often do, she could have gotten herself wedged up underneath the hood. She could also have gotten caught behind her heater and had the dorsal burned off but you would probably see burns on her body as well.

On the other hand, if the dorsal fin disappeared a little more gradually, bit by bit every few days, then I might think it was an aggressive bacteria.

I know it doesn't seem likely that it got ripped off when there is so little in the tank but female bettas really like to jump and are good at it and it would not surprise me if she got caught or hung up on or under something and ripped her dorsal off as she struggled to get free. This would also explain some of the trauma she appears to be suffering, especially if she got caught up out of water.

Since you have her floating, I would just keep the water as clean as possible and don't add anything. Keep her warm and if you can find a product like API Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector or any other product that aids in slime coat production, use that at a double dose. I would not even use AQ salt at this point, only clean water. If you have a source of tannins, such as Indian Almond leaf or naturally dried and clean oak leaves, crumble those into the water until it turns brown.

Please keep us updated and I hope she pulls through.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #15 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Hopelessaddict. In your info, it says the filter is built in to the tank and it is a 20 gal? Am I reading that correctly? 20 gal, not 20 liters? Do you have a Marineland Eclipse tank?

Although the filter wasn't running, it is still possible that she got caught somehow under the filter outtake or under decor. If the disappearance of her dorsal fin was very sudden, like overnight, and it disappeared all at once (not gradually as if it was being eaten off by something) I think she must have somehow ripped it off. No bacteria moves that fast as to completely destroy fins without other signs such as graying tissue or abnormal behavior. Further, if there was a bacteria that aggressive, it would not have been just her dorsal fin Her entire body would have been targeted.

If you have an Eclipse hood on your tank, I could understand how she might get caught even if the filter wasn't running. I've seen them and the way the hood is designed so if she decided to jump at something, as female bettas often do, she could have gotten herself wedged up underneath the hood. She could also have gotten caught behind her heater and had the dorsal burned off but you would probably see burns on her body as well.

On the other hand, if the dorsal fin disappeared a little more gradually, bit by bit every few days, then I might think it was an aggressive bacteria.

I know it doesn't seem likely that it got ripped off when there is so little in the tank but female bettas really like to jump and are good at it and it would not surprise me if she got caught or hung up on or under something and ripped her dorsal off as she struggled to get free. This would also explain some of the trauma she appears to be suffering, especially if she got caught up out of water.

Since you have her floating, I would just keep the water as clean as possible and don't add anything. Keep her warm and if you can find a product like API Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector or any other product that aids in slime coat production, use that at a double dose. I would not even use AQ salt at this point, only clean water. If you have a source of tannins, such as Indian Almond leaf or naturally dried and clean oak leaves, crumble those into the water until it turns brown.

Please keep us updated and I hope she pulls through.
Firstly, thank you so so much for your reply, Sakura8.

The model of my tank is a Jebo R338, and 20gallon. It is 70-80L, depending on how much water I put in.

Thinking of what you are saying, I did notice something but I did not think anything of it. Firstly - There was a "hole" in her tail - but I thought maybe I was slightly rough with her transferring her to her new tank. Looking now it has completely ripped so I think that may have been a sign. I also had noticed that parts of her top fin had lost colour - but I also, again, thought nothing about it as it often happens to one of my girls when she is stressed, and checking on the girl later her colour had returned. I am not sure if that information can help in any way.

She does like to jump, that is true, I remember when I first got her, I had her in a float and she jumped four inches out into the tank , but I do not see how she could have gotten trapped in it, here I will attach a photo of what the filter looks like:

The holes on the top of the filter are 0.5cm and are covered in the inside with media and the stones. The Bottom of the filter (in the water) has a cover with tiny slits that are around 1mm wide. I'm not sure if she could have still hurt herself in there, but I don't know, this is such a mystery to me :/

I am sorry if I sound like I am rejecting your help, I am not, I am just trying to give as much information as I can to try and figure it out. :(

Looking at her just before when I took that photo, I have noticed two things:

1 - Where the sore is, the sides of it are black (If that makes sense?)

and

2 - Where the gash/sore is, hert scales are extremely raised and her skin seems to be coming "off" of her body a bit. It just looks worse.

Also, I have noticed, in the tiny remaining part of her dorsal fin, there is another one of those holes - it wasn't there was night.

Thank you for the advice - I will not put any medication in. I will try and keep her water as clean as possible but I do not have stress zyme or IAL as of this moment, but I will be sure to buy some so I have it in need next time.

- Hopelessaddict101
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #16 
Hopelessaddict101

Also, I have just looked, and now her other fins seem to be disintegrating :/
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #17 
callistra

If her other fins are rotting away then that's your answer.. Sorry to disagree, she needs meds.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #18 
Hopelessaddict101

Will her fins grow back? :/
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Don't euthanize her. And never do a 100% change in a 20g either. Keep her water clean and keep an eye on her.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #20 
Hopelessaddict101

To be honest, in my opinion, I would euthanize her if I felt that there was no chance for her to recover or if there was too much pain involved for her. It would be my own choice and I would not like to see her to be in pain and suffering for the rest of her life. However, I am not going to do that for as long as I can keep it off.