Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #21 
Hopelessaddict101

Hello, I've just went to check on her, and it now looks like her skin is actually peeling OFF of her body. The wound is bigger now and looks deeper. Also her caudal fin is almost all gone now.

I have no idea what to treat her with for this or what would even be non-harmful for her and effective, as I have never had this..
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #22 
Bluewind

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. I know it's hard, but please post pictures if you can so that the experts can use their knowledge to create a dx for her and give you treatment options. I wish you the best of luck hun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #23 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. I know it's hard, but please post pictures if you can so that the experts can use their knowledge to create a dx for her and give you treatment options. I wish you the best of luck hun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you =\ It is really ... stressful and hard to see.
I have uploaded photos, but my dilemma is I only own a crappy, cellphone camera. That is all.

Thank you, though. I am beginning to wonder if it would just be humane to euthanize her, but I want to see options first.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #24 
Hopelessaddict101

I have, however, managed to capture a semi-good video, showing partially how bad it is. It still looks worse in real life.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #25 
Hopelessaddict101

Here we go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUoZd...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #26 
Sakura8

That . . . doesn't look so good. Poor baby, she must be in a great deal of pain.

You're right, after looking at the pics of the filter, it does seem difficult to imagine her getting caught up under it. I was thinking of the Marineland filters which hang down quite a bit. Based on the new things you remember seeing, it does seem like now we're looking at a very virulent bacteria, possibly vibrio.

I think you are in the UK or at least outside of North America, correct? This, unfortunately, will make things a bit harder because other countries regulate medications for fish much more strictly than the US so your choices of meds is limited. If, however, you can find these two medications you would be good: nitrafurazone and kanamycin. In the states, these are marketed under the trade names API Furan-2 and Seachem Kanaplex. You can combine them and they will work into a very strong antibiotic that will hopefully knock out the bacteria.

If you can't find any antibiotics, then reluctantly, I would advise euthanization. :( If this is indeed a bacteria and an aggressive one, then she won't get better using only holistic methods.

I'm so sorry, Hopelessaddict, I wish I could give you better advice.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #27 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
That . . . doesn't look so good. Poor baby, she must be in a great deal of pain.

You're right, after looking at the pics of the filter, it does seem difficult to imagine her getting caught up under it. I was thinking of the Marineland filters which hang down quite a bit. Based on the new things you remember seeing, it does seem like now we're looking at a very virulent bacteria, possibly vibrio.

I think you are in the UK or at least outside of North America, correct? This, unfortunately, will make things a bit harder because other countries regulate medications for fish much more strictly than the US so your choices of meds is limited. If, however, you can find these two medications you would be good: nitrafurazone and kanamycin. In the states, these are marketed under the trade names API Furan-2 and Seachem Kanaplex. You can combine them and they will work into a very strong antibiotic that will hopefully knock out the bacteria.

If you can't find any antibiotics, then reluctantly, I would advise euthanization. :( If this is indeed a bacteria and an aggressive one, then she won't get better using only holistic methods.

I'm so sorry, Hopelessaddict, I wish I could give you better advice.
Thank you very much. I live in New Zealand, so I am not sure if they sell them here. I will have a look otherwise I will sadly have to euthanize. :(

Thank you for all of your help, though. What should I do with her body if she passes?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #28 
Sakura8

*hugs* I'm so sorry about this. Whatever she's contracted is pretty vicious. If it wasn't so aggressive as to be causing gaping wounds and sores, we might have been able to treat her holistically.

As a last-ditch effort, you might want to try Melafix and Pimafix combined. What she has is topical (for now) and both those act like antiseptics and may be enough to clean out her wounds. Just be very careful not to overdose.

If she does pass, wrap her body in newspaper and dispose in the trash or bury it. Don't flush it down the loo because we don't want to introduce bacteria into the sewer system.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #29 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
*hugs* I'm so sorry about this. Whatever she's contracted is pretty vicious. If it wasn't so aggressive as to be causing gaping wounds and sores, we might have been able to treat her holistically.

As a last-ditch effort, you might want to try Melafix and Pimafix combined. What she has is topical (for now) and both those act like antiseptics and may be enough to clean out her wounds. Just be very careful not to overdose.

If she does pass, wrap her body in newspaper and dispose in the trash or bury it. Don't flush it down the loo because we don't want to introduce bacteria into the sewer system.
Thank you. Medication is extremely expensive here and I do not think I would have the money to get these extra medications (Okay, I admit it, I was not prepared for something this bad) for a week or two. I think maybe it would be better to euthanize her? Do you think? I'm not sure if it would be humane or not to make her wait that long..

And do you think a local university would want her? To study? I'm not sure about that type of thing as it's more rural here.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #30 
Sakura8

Yes, fish meds are pretty expensive, I agree. And in all reality, 99% of the time all you need to have on hand are AQ salt and epsom salt. Stuff this bad is rare and I honestly am puzzled as to how it got this bad. Somehow her immune system must have crashed and let the bacteria take over.

If you live in a rural area, it will probably cost more to send her into a university for study than either you or they wish to pay. :/

You will probably want to completely disinfect your tank and start your cycle all over again after this.