Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Question I have a situation

Just carried out a 30% water change and one of my female bettas just lost all its colours and got the stress stripes. The 2 other ones are fine, is it my method of doing WC or is it that the fish is more sensible, i dont know, what do you think?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

It could be both things. (I've got one high-maintenance fish who gets stressed out about everything, and two who aren't bothered by anything. LOL)

How do you go about doing your WCs? If you describe your process, maybe people can give suggestions.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #3 
WhiskeyHands

Well i change water every 2 days with a gravel vacuum and remove 30% of my water, sometimes the fish get in close so i try to move it away but they swim against the current and they get difficulties. After removal, i pour water from a jug in an area where there is no plant, no fish and no decorations, thats pretty much it, it stresses me because she just got her colours and they go back again. Another thing that just happened, i just came home to find her not stressed, was so relieved, she got excited, swam like crazy when she saw me and the stripes got back again -_- suggestions?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #4 
callistra

Are you sure they're stress stripes and not breeding stripes? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....e=0#post586634

I water change like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
Since you're only doing 30% you probably don't need to cup.. but if you leave her in make sure the water that's going in is at least the same temp and is already treated with conditioner.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I got one guy that bites his fins off every time I do a water change, unless i cup him. And another that goes from dark blue to steel grey. Freaks me out every time too. So its possible she just gets stressed easily
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #6 
aemaki09

She's probably just easily stressed. Doesnt sound like you are doing anything out of the ordinary. As long as they only stay while you are doing it thats fine.

I have a girl like that too, gets stress stripes so easily its unbelievably.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #7 
TheCheese909

Some Bettas get stressed much more easily than others. I have had two different boys who just hated the world. Quem who was a VT and Amaro who is a DT, both completely hated water changes, any little change of anything at all including what time the lights came on and off and what time they were fed. My Quem was really bad, no matter how I tried to be super sweet and gentle and everything with him he was just too terrified, that coped with his eating disorders.. some fish just aren't meant for this world.

I do know that females tend to stress more than males especially if they are in a Sorority.. So long as she's not fully losing her color and gasping for air and throwing fits you shouldn't be too worried.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #8 
Shewbert

Try popping her in a cup/jug until the cleaning is done, cover the cup both to keep her dark plus to stop her jumping out.
replace her when cleaning has finished.
I had one that stressed every time my heater light came on, had to cover the light section with tape.
At least in the cup she will not be stirred about and scared by the action of the gravel cleaning.
Remember your hands will be going in the water, water will be coming out of the tank, you are moving things around, particles are floating everywhere, your fish will be scared stiff by all of this going on.
Hope this helps
Mandy. Marine Biologist/Vet
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #9 
eatmice2010

ya it sounds to me like she's streesed, if the stripes go away then theres nothing to worry about
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #10 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Are you sure they're stress stripes and not breeding stripes? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....e=0#post586634

I water change like this:

Since you're only doing 30% you probably don't need to cup.. but if you leave her in make sure the water that's going in is at least the same temp and is already treated with conditioner.

No they are stress stripes, they are horizontal and the female is too young to be wanting to breed i think, she's small!
and yeah i used the conditioner and let it sit for some time before using the water. I'm getting a 3rd aquarium today and i dont think i will really need the heater because im keeping a goldfish in it? (do they need one?) and i might use it to monitor temperature for WC

Tags
betta, stress, water change