Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #11 
Desensitizer

Alright they have maracyn, maracyn 2 , and something else at the pet store. Would those work? There are 3 of my home-made hiding places, are there any cheap/creatable options? I have some ideas myself including glueing gravel to the solos to prevent cuts. Im buying him a betta log also. Silks plants would work temporarily im trying hard to get real foliage

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #12 
callistra

You can combine Maracyn and Maracyn II in combo to try to treat popeye, but it's not the most effective and it's harsher than other meds as well.

Silk plants are generally very cheap. I'd look for some of those.

The betta logs I've seen have tended to be rough and needed a lot of sanding (use normal sand paper that's fresh and unused - no touch of chem) to get them smooth. That said, bettas tend to like them because they can float at the surface.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #13 
Desensitizer

Different parts of the tank are always at different temperature, depending on depth and distance from heater. What can I do about this?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #14 
callistra

What heater are you running? that may be part of it. The other part is probably because there's no water movement in your tank and the tank is big.. that's another problem with big tanks. Most people run them with a filter and that takes care of the movement. Otherwise, You'll need an air pump, airline and some kind of air stone that you an anchor somehow or is weighted not to float..
I would also use a valve in the airline to turn the flow way down because most bettas don't like a lot of movement. Stick the air stone under the heater and it should distribute the temperature around the tank.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #15 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What heater are you running? that may be part of it. The other part is probably because there's no water movement in your tank and the tank is big.. that's another problem with big tanks. Most people run them with a filter and that takes care of the movement. Otherwise, You'll need an air pump, airline and some kind of air stone that you an anchor somehow or is weighted not to float..
I would also use a valve in the airline to turn the flow way down because most bettas don't like a lot of movement. Stick the air stone under the heater and it should distribute the temperature around the tank.
An aqueon 50w temperature adjustable. I can't believe I'm going to be buying another thing for this tank haha.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #16 
callistra

This one? http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqueon-p...ter-50-50w-8in

Or this one?http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Heaters.../dp/B003C5JNXK

First one is great. Second one I have NEVER been able to find one that would hold temp.. I mean surely they can't all be defective but they certainly are not of the quality of their pro line (the all black ones) I would exchange it for a different heater if that's the case.

Did your GF not send any supplies with the fish? Sorry :(
Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #17 
Desensitizer

Quote:
This one? http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqueon-p...ter-50-50w-8in

Or this one?http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Heaters.../dp/B003C5JNXK

First one is great. Second one I have NEVER been able to find one that would hold temp. I would exchange it for a different heater if that's the case.
Second one :[
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #18 
callistra

Yeah I had the same problem with 3 of them and gave up. Get a different heater and see how that works.

This is how I have my heater arranged in my 10g:

Heater diagonal across the back gives most even heat distribution in my experience. Also little air stone underneath anchored with a suction cup. In another tank I have a bubble wand like this under there: http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-14907

Last edited by callistra; 01-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #19 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Yeah I had the same problem with 3 of them and gave up. Get a different heater and see how that works.

This is how I have my heater arranged in my 10g:

Does that have a filter going?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #20 
callistra

Yes it does. You can kinda see it in the left hand corner.. the black tube sticking down and the box you can see in the back. My 5 gallons don't have filters though and I use the same approach to heater/bubbler