Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #1 
Hopelessaddict101

Fast acting fin rot/body rot bacteria?

First off, I posted this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124272&page=2

In it, I expressed my concerns about my female biting off her Dorsal fin.

However, a member has pointed out that it is probably a rare bacteria that moves fast and quickly.

But the thing is, I am trying to Google about it so I can learn more, but I can't find anything about it.

Do any of you's know what I am talking about?

Fast rot? I didn't know it could be as fast as under three hours...
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #2 
Butterfly

Message sakura8. Can you find the dorsal fin anywhere in the tank? More focused pictures would be helpful for figuring out what we're dealing with. :)
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
Message sakura8. Can you find the dorsal fin anywhere in the tank? More focused pictures would be helpful for figuring out what we're dealing with. :)
I will do that, thank you. And I have been looking, but to no prevail :/

And sorry, I only have my phone camera and it's really crappy :/ I hate it!!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #4 
DiiQue

Not 100% sure if this is the disease mentioned in the other thread and if its the same one that did that to your fish. Its a sticky by Sakura8 thats at the top of this section.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #5 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Not 100% sure if this is the disease mentioned in the other thread and if its the same one that did that to your fish. Its a sticky by Sakura8 thats at the top of this section.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Hello, thank you for your reply. I have looked and she isn't like that, at all, I do not believe.

I have, however, attempted to take a photo of her from the top. I have also attached a photo of her finnage from just the night before. There was so sign of fin rot, I check that every night, and I checked her in the morning just before I left to go to town. I was out three hours and returned to basically all of her Dorsal fin missing. I cannot see it or find it in the tank anywhere and there isn't anything she could have ripped it on. In the instance that she could have ripped it off the HOB filter, I do not think it was possible as it was not running at the time, and also there is only tiny slits in it. I have been notified that it could be an extremely rare, but real fst fin and body rot. Since the Dorsal fin has gone, I am worried it will not grow back even if she lives, as half of her back has gone, too. As a result she can't swim upwards properly, which is a concern for me.

Before, taken the night before: (Sorry they aren't focused - crappy phone camera.

Take last night before going to bed:

& of course the other photos on the other thread.

-Hopelessaddict101
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #6 
Hopelessaddict101

Hello, I've just went to check on her, and it now looks like her skin is actually peeling OFF of her body. The wound is bigger now and looks deeper. Also her caudal fin is almost all gone now.

I have no idea what to treat her with for this or what would even be non-harmful for her and effective, as I have never had this..
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #7 
Hopelessaddict101

Here is a video of her before and now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUoZd...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #8 
Butterfly

Oh shoot, I'm so sorry :( <3 Looks really severe from your video. Does she look like a pinecone? (her scales)
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Try kanaplex. Can you get that? Or tetracycline. That stuff kicks the s&%@ out of diseases :)

That is very odd. It definitely is not like the illness in Sakura's thread - I can tell you that by experience four times over.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #10 
Hopelessaddict101

It is very odd. =\ I have NEVER had it before!

Sakura8 has messaged me back on theo ther thread, and I quote:

Quote:
You're right, after looking at the pics of the filter, it does seem difficult to imagine her getting caught up under it. I was thinking of the Marineland filters which hang down quite a bit. Based on the new things you remember seeing, it does seem like now we're looking at a very virulent bacteria, possibly vibrio.
The problem is... I admit that I was not and never have been prepared for an illness THIS bad. And I probably wouldn't be able to get the medication for a few weeks, if New Zealand allows it, because they can be pretty expensive.

I'm not sure if I should euthanize her, or make her wait one-two weeks for medication. I'm not sure it would be very.. humane.