Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 
Solaris

Dividing a 5 Gallon

I have no immediate plans to divide my 5 gallon, but I want to keep my options open. You know, just in case!

So, I just want to know if it would be possible to divide a 5 gallon. Or would it be too small? Also, how would I go about doing it? And, what are the pros and cons to a divided tank?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #2 
labloverl

I divided mine, with no problems. I just used craft mesh and cut it to fit the tank. THen I used report binders to hold it up. There's a better description on here somewhere. It works great for small bettas, but I had large bettas that really didn't like the small space. Also, my filter had to really be baffled to keep from pushing the fish into the gravel, while the side without the filter had to water movement at all and a protein film always built up. But that was just my experience with my tank and filter.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 
Vizja13

Not a five gallon, but I'm just seconding the way labloverl divided their tank. When I first divided my ten, I bought the ten gallon divider from petsmart. Yeah...it was fine when I went to bed, but when I woke up both fish were on the same half of the tank, and the new veiltail had badly injured my old delta, Jazz. When I used the black craft mesh and report holders, it worked wonders and looked SO much better. I've had it set up that way for a while now (different fish now though, I lost Jazz :'( ). I've done guppies | Male betta, Male betta | male betta, nothing | Male betta, and currently Female betta (soon to add some female guppies) | Male betta. Just a note; female guppies are always having babies, and the babies get through the divider. So don't count on it to separate babies from adults if you have livebearers.

Only suggestions I would make, my Rory bubblenests like a fool because he can see Sexy, the female, on the other side. Some people I've seen put two dividers, with a small section in the center for heater and filter. I've never had problems with aggression from any males, Rory is the first I've seen that he even notices another fish on the other side. There is a protein buildup on the side with the male (the female's side has a baffled filter) but otherwise, the divider works amazingly, and looks great.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote