Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #1 
FishFriend9292

Question Baby Betta

I am planning on getting a baby betta from Petco and raising it. I have a couple questions. Right now I have a 6 gallon kritter keeper, and a 25 watt heater. Instead of using live food, can I use frozen food? Or is it vital to use live? How old would you say the babies are at Petco? Should I have subsrate, or would it be better to leave it bare bottom? Here is the shopping list I have made so far:

-6 gallon tank (already have)
-25 watt heater (already have)
-Live plants
-Hiding cave
-substrate(maybe)
-thermometer
-pellets(will be crushed before fed)
-frozen or live baby brine shrimp/blood worms

Anything I forgot or any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Baby bettas are more for the experienced due to their attention needed. Your list seems pretty adequate, is the heater adjustable? Keep the temperature at 80-82. Babies need cleaner and higher protein foods than adults so live is preferred but frozen can work, too. Get brine shrimp and bloodworms. The pellets I recommend are New Life Spectrum Grow which is supposed to be for fry. Remember to get a gravel vacuum/siphon to suction out water and debris. I think you should cycle the tank prior to getting the baby, it's much safer that way due to ammonia spikes. Sponge filters do well, I recommend them for tanks below 10G. Good luck with the baby!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #3 
FishFriend9292

Thank you! I am thinking of not having a filter, is that ok? Without a filter, how often should water changes be? I already own a siphon, so I am okay on that. Yes the heater is adjustable. I will look for that food.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #4 
FishFriend9292

How old are the babies at Petco?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

For my fry I do a daily water change if possible... Or every other day (jarred or in the 10 gallon sibling tank). At least to get the gunk off of the bottom of the tank :) You do not need to use a filter, but like mentioned cycling would be the best idea, considering these are coming from a store where they do not care for the fish. The bettas in stores, will be about 5-8 weeks old. And more than likely stunted.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 
SpeakNow13

I wouldn't use such a big tank for a baby betta. They tend to get overwhelmed in big spaces when they're really young and it often takes a lot of energy for them to swim up to get air when their that small.
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Maybe fill it half way :3 And add tons of plants!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I would say actually get a smaller tank and don't cycle but rather change the water every day. 1-2 gallons should do it. Also with bloodworms cut them up into tiny bits and remember a baby needs to eat 3 times a day rather than two but be careful of overfeeding. They get sick easily so warmer water and paying close attention to their health is important. Also be ready for illness by getting medication when you get the baby. Baby's need their water cleaned more often as well and you'll need stresscoat after every tank cleaning to make sure you keep their slime coat healthy and good.

I have successfully raised one fry and am going to rescue another soon I hope.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote