Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #11 
babystarz

Definitely both! I have 2 micro worm cultures and a bbs hatchery going at all times. I've seen excellent growth in my fry and they seem to love both foods equally.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #12 
joecool966

I would feed both mircoworm and bbs if possible just that I've only have bbs on hand but i do have mircoworm going now. I just it off of ebay a week ago.
joecool966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #13 
MrVampire181

Used to feed BBS alone. It's not the BBS it's the cysts that cause SBD. Microworms are good but keep the bottom clean or your fry may not develop ventral fins. Vinegar eels are excellent too.

Feed microworms and VE for the first week and then add in BBS the second week. Feed all three for the first 3-4 weeks and then switch to BBS alone until week 6 or so. Then add in crushed dry foods.

Don't hatch too much BBS or you might end up with nasty tanks as it only lives in fresh water for about 24 hours.

All this varies on tank size and cleaning. I'm using my experience in 4 - 10 gallon spawn tubs and 30 gallon grow out tanks with every other day 50% water changes.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #14 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
Used to feed BBS alone. It's not the BBS it's the cysts that cause SBD. Microworms are good but keep the bottom clean or your fry may not develop ventral fins. Vinegar eels are excellent too.

Feed microworms and VE for the first week and then add in BBS the second week. Feed all three for the first 3-4 weeks and then switch to BBS alone until week 6 or so. Then add in crushed dry foods.

Don't hatch too much BBS or you might end up with nasty tanks as it only lives in fresh water for about 24 hours.

All this varies on tank size and cleaning. I'm using my experience in 4 - 10 gallon spawn tubs and 30 gallon grow out tanks with every other day 50% water changes.
+1

This. From experience. On my first spawn I did BBS for the first 4 weeks and found my methods of removing the cysts was very poor.. they caused some minor SB problems. I've since picked up proper filters for removing the cysts. A mix seems to work better, my 2nd and 3rd spawns where raised on a mix and I've had no problems with swim bladder at all.

Also, Micro/banana/vinegar worms are a LOT easier to take care of and prepare.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote