Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #1 
Meggie6347

Exclamation Please please help FAST!

Hey everyone!

I don't want to make this too long...just fast. I need help FAST.

So my female betta that I saved as a dying baby and raised...she is almost full grown now, maybe not quite yet. Anyway, she was in a community tank (as in one balloon molly, some cories, and shrimp in a ten gallon) for a few months..maybe 2 months give or take. I pulled her out as it looked like she *might* have had some popeye issues...i wasn't 100% sure, but I didn't want to risk it...which was weird because my water was perfectly healthy.

So I moved her into the only open spot I had to treat her, which, unfortunately was in my recovering (rescue) king male ten gallon...I floated her inside a 1/3 gallon kritter keeper in his tank so that she could stay warm (81 degrees) and I kept her water clean...during this time (completely by accident on my part), the male started showing off, which was weird because he was still recovering and lethargic, and built a huge bubblenest. She filled up with eggs and did that 45 degree nose down submissive stance..you know, they wanted to breed.

She hasn't even been on myacin plus for two days (to treat her possible popeye). I went to go clean her water again and when I moved her into her temporary cup to clean her kritter keeper, she started swimming badly...like swimming around and around in the cup and doing tight barrel rolls all the way. I am freaking out right now, PLEASE HELP! I just moved her into some clean water (that is, without medication) and she is floating in my ten gallon without the male...she can't stay there long though...AND SHE IS LAYING BELLY UP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CUP

PLEASE HELP! I have no clue what to do and I don't want to lose her!

If this helps, all of the time that I have had her, she has gotten good food: as in brine shrimp, myacin shrimp (once), bloodworms, bsb, etc. and it was only tonight that she didn't eat. She is usually really active and this happened all at once!

Thanks in advance! Any reply is appreciated!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #2 
MistersMom

If it's popeye that's the issue, use epsom salt. 1 teaspoon/ per gallon. Find it at wall-Greens, Wal-Mart, Grociery stores even have it usually.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #3 
Meggie6347

Thank you for your reply...poor thing died...

I don't think it was Popeye that did it t though....even if it was for sure Popeye she was being treated for that...

Can fish have seizures? That's almost what it looked like...she was perfectly happy and healthy, then out of no where, within a split second, she was acting weird and then died on me
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

sorry meggie. that stinks. sip.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sorry for your loss. Did you put them together to breed?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 
Mirage23

She might have went into temperature shock. Was the water in the cup too cold or too hot?
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #7 
Mirage23

If it wasn't temperature it might have been something in the water. It sounds like she was desperately trying to get out of the new water
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 
Meggie6347

I did not put them together to breed....she was in the 1/3 gallon container floating in the male's tank..I never released her and all of the ore breeding stuff was done completely by accident

The tempurature of the water was 81 degrees..no tempurature shock, I made sure...

I don't know what would have been in the water, my tank water is extremely healthy :/

I am just so befuddled...I think that she was dead within ten minutes of this happening..and she was perfectly fine before that moment when she started spiral swimming!

I am going to mis her...she was the first baby I rescued and raised and I was planning on breeding her within the next few weeks!

Thank you all for your replies
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But dont add any Chemicals to the tank. Cories are very chemical sensative.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #10 
Meggie6347

There are no chemicals in my ten gallon...she has been separated for the last (about) week and a half...thank you for your help!