Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
TheMuffinMan

Question Stressed or depressed?

I got my new betta a week ago and named him Bloo. The first few days, he was living in a jelly bean jar (while waiting for his new home to arrive). Two days ago, I moved him into a 1 gallon tank with some aquarium gravel and a cave. Yesterday , when I came to feed him, he didn't eat. I came to the conclusion that he still needed to be acclimated into his new home. So I tried feeding him this morning, but he still didn't eat. Rather than coming up to the side of the tank to greet me, he hid in his cave like he was scared. When Bloo finally came out, he stared at the flakes and swam back into his cave.

Housing
What size is your tank? One gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature, 74-78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Open Top (but water levels not close to the edge so he doesn't jump)
Is your tank heated? No, since my room temps are always quite high.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin Tropical Medley and Top Fin Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp every other day.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% water changes once a day (a few hours after I feed Bloo to clean out his poop)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Still the same.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems stressed, darts when I come close to the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I read about stress relief so I kept him into an isolated room with dim lighting.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, seems to be full grown (2 inches)
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #2 
Syriiven

Room temperature doesn't always dictate water temperature, as they're made up of different elements. If you have a thermometer for your tank, only adhere to the water temperature. So if the actual water temperature is 76 or lower, he may be a bit cold. Just a little confused on whether you have water temp, or only room temp.

Do you de-chlorinate your water? If so, that would be added under 'additives' in the questionaire.

I believe 25% a day is fine, and he seems to have the right environment so long as you keep up with those changes. But this also means small spikes in ammonia (like from leftover food or a sick fish) will quickly kill your tank. So a testing kit is a must so you can keep a close eye on him.

Flakey food tends to lead to bad water quality, and can make him bloated which eventually leads to swim bladder disease.

I'd suggest changing food to Omega One Pellets and some sort of frozen or live food like daphnia or bloodworms. Freeze-dried foods tend to not have the nutrients needed.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Also while a 1 gallon is doable (so long as you keep up with water changes like you have), moving to a 2.5 gallon may give him more swimming space, make water changes easier for you, and less stressful for him. And if you do get a small heater (10W should be fine) then there's less chance of it overheating in a slightly bigger tank.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #4 
TheMuffinMan

I got my temperature readings from the Top Fin digital thermometer in my tank, so I'm pretty sure that's water temperature. And I've just ordered API's Stress Coat water conditioner as well as Omega One, Hikari Bio-gold and Aqueon pellets (might have overdone it but I heard different betta's have different preferances). As for a larger tank, I'm planning to save up some money and buy a 10 gallon for Bloo in the future. In the meantime, what should I do about Bloo as he isn't eating at all, nor has he pooped either. I'm starting to think it is constipation( but no signs of bloating whatsoever).
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Oookie, then he may just take a while to get used to his home. Some betta's are more timid than others. Maybe just do a flashlight check to see if he has velvet (it'll look like shiny rust or coppery dust on his head and body) and keep an eye on his behavior. Does he seem to rub or 'sratch' against anything?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #6 
Kithy

Did you use any water conditioner when you put the water in/changed water?

While he may not jump you might still want to have something to cover it for now. Some people use plastic wrap with small holes so he cannot jump out.

Some Petcos are having their $1 a gallon sale so might be worth checking into. Even if you can't move him right away you can store it away till you have everything you need for the 10gallon.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #7 
eatmice2010

Most of the time when a betta is stressed its body colors change from normal to pail with black stripes, if he doesnt have those then hes probably scared of some thing, I would try lowering the lights and see if he comes out. What else is in the tank with him?
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #8 
TheMuffinMan

Syriiven - I've checked for both velvet and ick. No signs of either, Bloo has been quite lethargic for the past few hours, staying still near the surface going up for air once in a while.

Kithy - I've been using regular tap water for water changes. I have ordered API Stress Coat conditioner today, so hopefully that will arrive soon.

eatmice2010 - Bloo still has his blue colors, though their not quite vibrant as other betta's I've seen. I put him in a dimly lit room and he has gravel as well as a cave in the tank with him.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #9 
Syriiven

It may be swim space then. Maybe hold a mirror up and see if he flares. If he doesnt, that's some serious depression. And may mean he's actually sick.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Syriiven - I've checked for both velvet and ick. No signs of either, Bloo has been quite lethargic for the past few hours, staying still near the surface going up for air once in a while.

Kithy - I've been using regular tap water for water changes. I have ordered API Stress Coat conditioner today, so hopefully that will arrive soon.

eatmice2010 - Bloo still has his blue colors, though their not quite vibrant as other betta's I've seen. I put him in a dimly lit room and he has gravel as well as a cave in the tank with him.
You need a water conditioner when using tap water as it typically has chlorine & other stuff in it that a good water conditioner will make safe for your Betta. That may be part of the problem.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote