Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 
dimomcj

Smile New to Bettas & starting with a 5 gallon tank

Can female bettas live together without fighting? Can a male be added to the females? What other fish can I add? There is sooo much information out there that I think I have brainfreeze. One thing I've learned as a mother, the best (and usually most reliable) is that of someone who knows from experience. Thanks to all who respond. BTW, this tank is in my 10 year old son's room. He wants to be a marine biologist. If he could, we would have a housefull of fish tanks or probably just live in the sea under a clear dome. LOL.
dimomcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :D
Yes, females can live together under certain tank speculations. The tank must be heated, cycled, and densely-heavily decorated/planted. It also has to have 4 females as minimum and a 10 gallon. In your case, you can't have a sorority due to the tank being a 5G. Males can't be with females in the same tank unless it's a 55G+ which is planted like it was an underwater forest. Even if it's divided. You can't really add any other fish.. So basically, it's a 5G, and the only options are A. 1 female B. 1 male C. 2 males, divided D. 2 females, divided. These are your only choices.. If you wanted more fish then I recommend a 10G at the least. Remember to heat the tank, and it's highly recommended to keep the tank cycled. Good luck!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

5 gallons are pretty much limited - unless you divide it. or you can have a snail or shrimp. However some bettas end to eat the shrimp and I think you would need ground cover like moss so they have a place to hide. SNails are probably safer but apple/mystery snails poop alot so you should have a gravel siphon to remove it
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can keep a Betta with an Apple Snail.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #5 
Goldie2nd

Apple Snails get attacked just like any other fish by Bettas I know because I had one till it commited suicide no really it jumped out of the tank but it left babies that also died so eh. Well to be fair I scraped the babies off I for one did not want a thousand babies snails in my 10g tank number two I did not know how to care for them and three till this day i feel bad about that so just stick with one Betta to start with I sugest.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean it seems like they have the highest chance of survival.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #7 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forum. :D
Yes, females can live together under certain tank speculations. The tank must be heated, cycled, and densely-heavily decorated/planted. It also has to have 4 females as minimum and a 10 gallon. In your case, you can't have a sorority due to the tank being a 5G. Males can't be with females in the same tank unless it's a 55G+ which is planted like it was an underwater forest. Even if it's divided. You can't really add any other fish.. So basically, it's a 5G, and the only options are A. 1 female B. 1 male C. 2 males, divided D. 2 females, divided. These are your only choices.. If you wanted more fish then I recommend a 10G at the least. Remember to heat the tank, and it's highly recommended to keep the tank cycled. Good luck!
+1

Females can live together, but they are just as aggressive as males so there WILL be fighting. Once introduced and they get settled in the tank, they will establish a pecking order, so fin nipping and chasing at that point is normal. This is why you need a large (10 gallons or more), densely planted tank which a lot of hiding spots so weaker females can retreat if need be. Otherwise, they will surely be picked on until they are weakened and killed.
I have NO experience in owning multiple female bettas, but I have owned 4 females rats housed in the same cage who also establish a hierarchy of dominance, and the fighting can get rough.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Apple snails live longer in cold water but are more active in warm water.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #9 
dimomcj

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I will deter him then from a betta for the 5 gallon - for now. Once he gets a larger tank, we can do multiples it appears. I will get a male betta though for a small 1 gallon flat back tank. If you can share on care for that, please do.
dimomcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For a 1 gallon I reccomend 50 percent water change every other day and 100 percent weekly.