Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 
Kboou2

Is this big enough for my betta fish?

Hi!

I'm new to this website, and having just got my third betta fish (my other two have died from sickness and too cold water ), I don't know if my tank is large enough. I got my tank at walmart and it's about 41 FL OZ big. It comes with a bottom and a divider since it was originally meant for two fish, but I thought that a putting two fish in a tank that small wouldn't be very appealing.

I've heard how betta fish need a tank of about 5 gallons and a filter with heater. Do I need to buy all those things? I was planning on getting a one gallon tank, would that be fine for my betta fish? Right now, he's swimming around a bit, and likes to sleep on the smooth rocks at the bottom, and seems a bit stressed out. Please help me, I want my fish to be happy and healthy! Thanks!
Kboou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Some people will say 1g is fine if water changes are done properly & frequently & its heated. Others will say a minimum of 5g, I fall into the 5g category. A filter is not required but heat most definitely is. The water temp, IMO, should be a consistent 76-80F. I have found it difficult to keep my Bettas healthy in anything less than a 5g. Plus with larger volumes of water that are filtered you don't have to do more frequent water changes. My smallest tank is a 5.5, bought recently on sale at Petsmart, now cycled which means I will only have to do 50%+ weekly water changes. With your size tank you'll need to do water changes probably every other day of at least 50% to keep it safe. Make sure to use a good water conditioner with each water change.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #3 
Kboou2

Thank you! I'll go out and get a 1 gallon tank as soon as possible
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

A 1 gallon tank is hard to heat and they really need a heater, I would go for at least a 2 and a half gallon and get a heater. Betta are tropical fish and their water needs to be 76-82 degrees, also a thermometer to check what the temp of the water.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
TheMCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboou2 View Post
Thank you! I'll go out and get a 1 gallon tank as soon as possible
Get a 1.5 if you can (it's a lot more room for the fish and for you to add decorations, while not taking up a lot more room in your home) but a 1 would be a lot better than what you have and can be okay with proper care. Remember that larger is just fine if you want. I'm moving one of my bettas into a 5g this week, just because I want to.

Kudos to you for wanting to do the right thing and get him a bigger tank than that tiny thing he's in.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 
flyingpony22

Two of my bettas are in one gallon tanks. They're both somewhat small so it's a good size for them. I would definitely get a heater and an air stone for the tanks though. You also have to frequently change the water to avoid diseases. Depending on what type of betta you purchased you will probably need to upgrade as it grows. My third betta is in 2.5 gal which is probably the better size to get if you have a choice. Alot of times you can buy tank packages where it comes with a filter and a few other things which may be something to look into.
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #7 
Kboou2

Thank you all! I just got my betta a 3 gallon tank.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I am setting up a 1.5 gallon tank for my stepsisters betta (she has him in 1/4 gallon now O.O that's absolutely 0 room to swim). Though most conventional heaters were too big for the tank or heat the water too much I found cool under pad heaters made FOR smaller betta tanks and also a completely flat heater that slips easily into the tank and takes up no room at all. They are both fairly well priced as well.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 
Sparrowhawk

I'm not sure I have the experience to warrant commenting, but after experiencing the water changes necessary for a 2 gallon, I'd definitely say the biggest you can get for your space and budget is better.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

1 gallon works. But should be left to really expeirnced people. Because they are a lot harder to maintain. If you think your up to the challeng. Okay. I reccomend live plants to help with water.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote