Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #21 
Syriiven

Ohmgosh you have to send one up here to me! Don't worry I'll pay =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #22 
Skyewillow

I'll let you know when I get into it. We've been talking about a breeding program. :D
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #23 
Syriiven

I'm so excited...again!! xD
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not too clear on these types of color. As far as I know:
Marbles = a type of gene that makes color change (also called the jumping gene). Eg. an originally blue will become pale and then return blue again.

- Usually color change occurs before 6 month of age (often between 2-4 months) but sometimes it can go on to a later age.
- Color will usually change into pale as the first phase. The end result is often unpredictable (pattern). Most only change twice; dark color - pale - back to dark color. But some may change 3-4 times; copper - pale - copper - green - copper. The end result of these sometimes differs to it's original color and pattern.
- Marble can occur in all color and color types; regular/basic color, metallic, and dragon.
- Some color/pattern need the marble gene (can't elaborate)
- Once a marble stops changing or has turned dark again, it's difficult to identify it as "marble".
- Pale body and less intense black (or other color) like your first male implies that it's a marble.

Koi, I think (not sure), need the marble gene to become koi. Otherwise it will show patterns like the "appache" (sorry on spelling) (multi 3-4 color with white head). The koi needs to show a pale body (regular color) or white (metallic and dragon) as its base color and have splashes of red, white and black - like the koi fish.

The only way you can learn to "spot" a marble is by viewing their changes. Then you'll understand how colors go pale - which pale colors are "natural" and which are marble. Once they color up, it's hard to tell.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #25 
Syriiven

Wow, thats awsm =)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #26 
Skyewillow

From what I've read (and I included the link somewhere) is that the red and black spots on a mostly white body are what makes him a "koi", instead of a regular marble. Because the color hasn't spread or changed at all like I've seen with other marbles.

I do know what you mean about the color changing into a completely different fish. I had a purple and white marble HM that turned a dark blue (almost black) in the span of a couple of months.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Actually I've seen some koi that wasn't from a marble spawn. But I think the first koi mutation was produced by the marble genes towrads the specific multi combination. . . .

Colors/patterns I THINK was associated with marbles are; koi, super black, and what I call the true "blue dragon" - white body with bright blue fins. The blue dragons - IME often eventually turns into regular blue (body becomes blue again) . . . . unpredictable.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #28 
Skyewillow

I'm actually surprised that he hasn't turned completely black on me. I've had a number of fish, who were lightly colored with white when I bought them, and turned almost black within the first month!

Example one:

He shows stress barring, so I figured his body would darken up, but that white section on his tail turned black as well.

Example 2: