Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #11 
Cinderwolf

it isnt filtered or aerated no, casue i was under the impression that shrimp woul be okay in a heavy planted bowl for a short term tank.

I offedr a blanched cucumber but I dint really see thme eat, so I added a few of the better pellet. I will uy algae waffers tomorrow for them.

The remaining 3 seems active and are swimmign about nicely.

I was waiting so I coudl plant all the plants ( turning the 5 gal heavy planted) then add the shrimp thne add the fish but i will add thme to the 5 gal if they keep dying.. but im also worried they have soem sort of disease and i dont want to give i to Bennie..
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #12 
kfryman

Adding plants can help, but plants must be actively growing to provide for the ecosystem, so you're ecosystem that you tried to make may not have been the best if the plants weren't use to those conditions. I would just add them now.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #13 
Viva

I have had a lot of bad luck with ghost shrimp myself, not sure if they were eaten by my betta or what but they all slowly disappeared within weeks, and I got about 10 total for my planted 10gal.
I now have Amano shrimp, and so far they've been doing fine. They're really excellent algae eaters too.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #14 
Cinderwolf

Well im down to 2.. I keep finding them dead, no reason I can see.. levels are all good and I have been changing the water to maintain that.. I can only imagine they wee sick from the pet store.

I wanted amano but no where local sells them and I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for shrimp that might die.

If these shrip die I wont be getting more.. no point. Too bad to casue they are super neat.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #15 
kfryman

Well, if you can get them from better conditions they may have more of a chance, but with conditions at most chain stores shrimp, as they are much more sensitive then most fish, are hit or miss. The ones from local pet shops, which I rarely go into, have alright stock with shrimp.

Amano shrimp are hardy. Someone on another forum was spot dosing black beard algae with excel and on accident sprayed the excel in one of the amano's face. That would usually kill most shrimp, but it was totally fine. Don't try it though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #16 
Cinderwolf

Unfortunatly the LFS only carries expensive fancy shrimp, so only Petsmart has these guys and they were still a dollar each : /