Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #11 
Bluewind

Filters can be quiet. I have a Tetra Whisper filter on my tank right by my bed and I actually have to listen in the quiet of my house to hear a gentle hum. I can't speak for other filters, but there are quiet ones out there.

When it comes to feeding, once a day is fine. Just make sure that it's at the same time every day. You can also add one day a week for varrying their food and one day for fasting, but that is up to you and your preferences.

When it come to water changes, it depends. You see, if you have a larger tank, you can cycle it before you add fish, the good bacteria will eat amonia, and you will have less water changes to do. If you don't get ready for a month of daily waterchanges. Plants suck up amonia too, so a planted aquarium will need less waterchanges than a non-planted one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-02-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #12 
Bluewind

If you decide to snag some plants, make sure you buy plants that are for beginners andd low light. These can usually survive on not much more than fish leftovers and a proper light. What I mean by "proper light" is that most kits have these sucky lights that don't really do much. Rather than spening good money on aquarium bulbs, you can swing by the lightbulb section and find some 10w florecents or cfl. They should have 5500 K or more (it will show on the back). Save leftover bulb or put them in a regular lamp if you want.

If you decide on adding Cory Cats, Otos, or Plants, then it's time to go shopping for sand. I have found that plant root systems do better in it than gravel. Find something that is gonna be smooth so as to not hurt those cute little barbles on your fish because once they're gone, they don't grow back!

When you narrow down all the whats, let us know and we can give you a pretty good idea of your water change schedule
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #13 
Kiyo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Not your cup of tea? Then what about 3 Kulii Loaches? They are neat little ones.
I checked the other fish you gave and these guys I prefer the most. I've watched plenty of videos; some where they wriggle like mad, others where they play hide and seek. I think they're cute :)

I'm sad the Albino longfin bristlenose seems to be the equivelant of the Goldfish (craping alot). But seeing as I'm a beginner at this I don't want to endanger the Betta.

Quote:
Filters can be quiet. I have a Tetra Whisper filter on my tank right by my bed and I actually have to listen in the quiet of my house to hear a gentle hum. I can't speak for other filters, but there are quiet ones out there.
I do love my silence when I read on my bed in the day and sleep at night. So putting it by my bed is likely not a good idea. I actually have a double bed so maybe I could put them on the other side. Who knows. I can move the tank around and see where I'm happy with it.

Quote:
When it come to water changes, it depends. You see, if you have a larger tank, you can cycle it before you add fish, the good bacteria will eat amonia, and you will have less water changes to do. If you don't get ready for a month of daily waterchanges. Plants suck up amonia too, so a planted aquarium will need less waterchanges than a non-planted one.
Thats my concern. If I have real plants doesn't that add more difficulty? I heard they need certain conditions to thrive..

Quote:
If you decide on adding Cory Cats, Otos, or Plants, then it's time to go shopping for sand. I have found that plant root systems do better in it than gravel. Find something that is gonna be smooth so as to not hurt those cute little barbles on your fish because once they're gone, they don't grow back!

When you narrow down all the whats, let us know and we can give you a pretty good idea of your water change schedule
Posted via Mobile Device
One male betta, 3 Kuhlii loaches, and some tetra fish? I could go for a 60 litre tank. Atm in a garden centre they have a deal going on. Tank, heater and all other essentials for 80 rather than 110. Here is the deal on another website which is more expensive (not sure why) http://www.petsathome.com/shop/marin...-only%29-78659
Kiyo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #14 
SolomonFinch

I think it is great you are not making a snap judgement on pet ownership.
I will warn, however...
Bettas are highly addictive.
Srsly.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #15 
Bluewind

Glad you enjoied my post! It took me a LONG time to type up on my phone

The problem with tetra is that they are fin nippers in small groups. That is gonna cause problems for the Betta. I have seen them be agressive too. So, if you want one of the Tetra species, you need a minimum of 5, which means you have to choose between tetra and betta, tetra and loaches, or betta and loaches to keep the bioload down.

Can anyone think of a good swap for the tetra? I had a friend with Kuliis and Danios in a tank and it worked well, but I am not farmiliar with them.

Plants are only difficult if you add difficult plants. If you go with beginner, low light plants, they require little to no care. Just change out the light for a suitable one. Look up Marimo Ball, Anubias, Water Sprite, Java Moss, Java Fern, Duck Weed, and Appendigon (sp? look in my siggy). All of those do fine without ferts and CO2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #16 
Bluewind

Now for fishless cycling. There should be a sticky you can go to and read up on this. Basically what you do is grow good bacteria in your tank which eat up the amonia (which comes from fish waste, old food, their gills, and stuff that decomposes in the tank) before you add fish. This makes working with that new tank easier and lowers the risk that you will kill your new pets.

If you can't wait and snag fish, you are gonna be doing daily pwc for a while to keep the water safe for your babies. Adding plants (even if you can only add a couple) will help as they suck up all the nastiness. If you have a well planted tank, it is practically cycled from day 1! But ANY plants you can add will help
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #17 
Kiyo77

Quote:
I think it is great you are not making a snap judgement on pet ownership.
I will warn, however...
Bettas are highly addictive.
Srsly.
With pets I do more research and all that because at the end of the day they are a life, just like you and me

Quote:
Glad you enjoied my post! It took me a LONG
time to type up on my phone

The problem with tetra is that they are fin nippers in small groups. That is gonna cause problems for the Betta. I have seen them be agressive too. So, if you want one of the Tetra species, you need a minimum of 5, which means you have to choose between tetra and betta, tetra and loaches, or betta and loaches to keep the bioload down.

Can anyone think of a good swap for the tetra? I had a friend with Kuliis and Danios in a tank and it worked well, but I am not farmiliar with them.

Plants are only difficult if you add difficult plants. If you go with beginner, low light plants, they require little to no care. Just change out the light for a suitable one. Look up Marimo Ball, Anubias, Water Sprite, Java Moss, Java Fern, Duck Weed, and Appendigon (sp? look in my siggy). All of those do fine without ferts and CO2.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ow, no idea tetra were fin nippers to the Bettea! Oh well. I didn't truely want tetra. They were ones I liked, not loved. I'm sure there are other tank mates I'll like. Anyone?

So if I have real plants it cuts down on water changes?

Quote:
If you can't wait and snag fish, you are gonna be doing daily pwc for a while to keep the water safe for your babies. Adding plants (even if you can only add a couple) will help as they suck up all the nastiness. If you have a well planted tank, it is practically cycled from day 1! But ANY plants you can add will help
Oh trust me, I CAN wait. I'm very patient. You just let me know when I get the fish after I've done the water.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #18 
Bluewind

Yes to the plants. They are also good for loaches as the are sensative to amonia in the water.

I sure will! I figured you would choose the loaches and the betta. You have about my taste in fish

Just remember, you want the betta to grow up with tankmates. Getting an older male who has has a little space all to himself all his life increases the chance that everyone wont get along. Now I'm not saying to buy a betta that looks like a speck of dirt in a cup that you can't tell if it's male or female! Just one that still has some growing to do.

Also, I want you to know that you can do everything right in the world, but still loose a fish because they were sick before you got them or a freak accadent. When this eventually happens (as it does for all of us), don't blame yourself and learn from the experence
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #19 
Kiyo77

Quote:
Yes to the plants. They are also good for loaches as the are sensative to amonia in the water.

I sure will! I figured you would choose the loaches and the betta. You have about my taste in fish

Just remember, you want the betta to grow up with tankmates. Getting an older male who has has a little space all to himself all his life increases the chance that everyone wont get along. Now I'm not saying to buy a betta that looks like a speck of dirt in a cup that you can't tell if it's male or female! Just one that still has some growing to do.

Also, I want you to know that you can do everything right in the world, but still loose a fish because they were sick before you got them or a freak accadent. When this eventually happens (as it does for all of us), don't blame yourself and learn from the experence
Posted via Mobile Device
I've had the fish dying thing already happen with my fish in the pond. We had one fish (forgot the name) who loved to jump out the pond. Twice we caught it jumping out. Once we put up a small fence (due to cats) it still jumped out and we found it dead.

A few months later the comet became sluggish and died. That was sadder for me, as I loved that fish, and I went a day depressed thinking I did something.

I cannot get the fish right now, as my bedroom has yet to be re decorated, but in the meantime I'll keep researching and researching. Thank you for all your help, you've been helpful :)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #20 
Kiyo77

p.s can I add maybe 2 cherry shrimps to help with any algae?